Author Topic: A7 charging issue?  (Read 3769 times)

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: A7 charging issue?
« Reply #30 on: 09.10. 2012 12:10 »

Battery's can act strange sometimes.
I remember a couple of years ago, my car wouldn't start again if I stopped the engine for just a couple of minutes and left the headlights on.
I replaced the battery to no avail, so I suspected the alternator not doing his job. I installed a new one, but I still had the same problem.
In the end it was the battery, which showed 14V, but if I hooked up a bulb, the voltage dropped in seconds.
I changed it for another one, problem solved.
Just checked the charge across the battery terminals and getting 14+ volts. Spoke/email Mike at Dynamo regulaters and he agreed the battery is stuffed prob too many charge/discharge cycles. Also when I tested using the vreg it was only putting 12.8 volts into the battery so look like they both decicded to die which begs the question who killed who *conf*
When reading your last reply though, it came to me that it's perfectly possible that the alternator in my car killed the battery.
I remember changing the battery first because of the same reason, then the alternator, and then had to swap the battery again for a new one
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #31 on: 30.10. 2012 12:43 »
Well two weeks in with the DVR2 and new battery and alls well. Battery holds a healthy charge and the DVR makes sure it gets it. Just my luck with all things I do I ordered a new battery and the first one came with a dead cell but they  changed it without any issues.

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 31.10. 2012 09:11 »

Good luck, hope it hangs in well for you cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia