Author Topic: rocker washers  (Read 2753 times)

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
rocker washers
« on: 24.10. 2012 20:29 »
Guys,

can anybody tell me the correct configuration of the spring washers and plain washers on the rocker shafts?

According to the parts list there are only 6 (six) plain washers and 4 (four) spring washers in the rocker box? (or have I got it wrong?) So what end of the rockers dosen't get a washer? Perhaps I should just get rid of the spring washers competely and shim the endfloat with washers? What do you think?

Phil

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: rocker washers
« Reply #1 on: 24.10. 2012 21:00 »
Phil,

Here you go.

So, do you have at least one manual? There might be a lot of debate over which is the best manual, but I think most here would agree that having at least one is a good idea.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #2 on: 24.10. 2012 21:12 »
Phil, as you can see, it's 8 + 4, the 'usual' Engine A group parts manual does not show it as clearly as Richard's drawing (good quality, which publication is it from?).

Could maybe be shimmed, but what about clearance differences hot\cold ? I'd guess the springs takes good care of that dept.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.10. 2012 22:03 »
I'm just guessing here but tappets pushing down on valve stem against spring pressure could involve some movement sideways, however slight it may be the Thackery washer (is that the correct name for them) would accommodate this.

Butt of course I could be looking to close at the trees and missing the wood again  *whistle* *sad*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 24.10. 2012 22:34 »
Richard,

What you are saying makes perfect sense, but my parts listing shows only 6 washers, i.e.

67-60 Thrust washer X 6 A 1950-62

and sure enough, there was only six in my rocker box, but you just don't know what has gone before!

Your drawing however is perfectly clear, my manual only shows one rocker shaft (with 4 washers) so I consider that the parts list is wrong and your line drawing is correct.

a10gf, I appreciate your point about hot/cold clearances, but this could be allowed for. Not sure how much extra noise this would produce when cold however, which is probably the reason for the spring washers in the first place. If I was tuning for power, I would definitely shim and not worry about some extra noise when cold.

Thanks for the info guys!

Phil

as it needs to be.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 24.10. 2012 22:38 »
Hope you dont mind Richard but I "borrowed" your pic.

Six of the hardened washers are the same but the two with the arrows are different, they have a smaller ID 3/8". This is to go over the smaller diameter part of the spindle.

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2012 22:45 »
Brian,

Ah ha! Are these two simply the washers under the nuts securing the rocker shafts then? which would mean my original assumption is correct? i.e there are only six thrust washers and four spring washers?

Phil

as it needs to be.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2012 22:49 »
No these are hardened thrust washers that go inside the rocker box, same OD as the other six but smaller ID.

If you have a parts book the six are pt. no. 67-60 and the two in question are 67-61.

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2012 22:55 »
Brian,

Oh right, now I get it!!! 6 X 67-60 and 2 X 67-61. Easy when you read manuals correctly  *conf*

I can't help it you know, I blame my parents......

Thanks for all your help guys!

Phil

as it needs to be.

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2012 22:58 »
Here's another scan.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 24.10. 2012 23:06 »
Brian,

Thanks for stepping in an filling in the info I left out.

e,

Good question about the book. I think the one that picture came from may not be well known in our group: Chilton's BSA Motorcycle Repair and Tune-Up Guide . I can't even remember where I got it; maybe, a used book store.

For laughs, I thought I'd show a picture of my BSA book collection. Seems like too many for someone with just one motorcycle doesn't it? The collection grew when my wife knew she could shop online at British Only and fill her Christmas list.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #11 on: 25.10. 2012 00:25 »
R, thanks for the info, never seen that book before, will look for it on ebay.
Excellent scan from Brian as well, were's that one from? To not dilute the original topic, anyone with interesting or rare books not mentioned before, maybe post a little about it in 'BSA related Links & Service Literature'?

Regarding the washers, all doubt seems dissipated.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.10. 2012 00:32 »
That one was out of the 1960-61 parts book.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.10. 2012 10:21 »
 Richard, I have one of those Chilton / OCee Ritch books- second print 1970- it's been very handy considering it covers so many models!

Phil, I also had a similar thought about just using plain shims as I figured that there is some 'torsional resistance' with the Thackeries in there,(Yay Bill you did get 'Thackery' right, the trees live another day *smile*) and confirmed when I did it, rockers move so easily, but probably not enough to matter unless racing.

Also I agree with Bills suggestion about side-play, and could affect pushrod/ valve travel, but think 'solids would counteract this more effectively than Thackery springs, as they will just cushion it without removing it.

I reckon the Thackeries are just a quicker,easier and cheaper way of pumping out the product, as shimming requires a few seconds more calculating

We had chat about it a while ago, Muskrat will set you straight
 Cheers
 Ps Thanks Brian for sorting that out- Phil, there are still two on the outside under the nuts, but that's a different story
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #14 on: 25.10. 2012 20:03 »
 I use shims instead of springs in the cafe. Give them 2thou clearance. No noticeable noise increase. (can't hear myself think over the reverse cone megas)
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7