Author Topic: Swingarm Star Twin ?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Swingarm Star Twin ?
« on: 25.10. 2012 04:13 »
I was looking through some parts books this morning and happened to notice this. Attached is a scan from the 54' to 57' parts book.

The thing that caught my attention is under the 1954/55 swingarm models. It lists a Star Twin as well as the Shooting Star.

So the question is did they make a swingarm Star Twin as well as the Shooting Star or is it simply a mistake in the book. I have never seen a swingarm Star Twin.

Just curious.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Swingarm Star Twin ?
« Reply #1 on: 25.10. 2012 11:14 »

Artistic license- no info for the printer after lunch last day of the working week??
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 25.10. 2012 13:38 »
"Brian" , am by no means certain but I think this may have been a U.S.A only name for the A7 "Shooting Star" ?
Also think there was an A50 named "Star Twin" ?

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.10. 2012 22:35 »
Might be like the swinging arm Super Flash, Brian, only a few made.
I note that the Super Flash is not on your list.

Stephen,
                   The first A50/A65 bikes were listed as "Star", not "Star Twin".

Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.10. 2012 23:08 »
I searched through all my books and info looking for the swingarm Super Flash as I remembered you posting a pic of one some time ago Trev. I could only find them listed in one list and that was one compiled by a Steve Foden in 1997. That book lists the engine numbers as CA10S 101 for a swingarm Super Flash but doesnt give any frame numbers.

It seems there might have been some very small numbers of unusual models built right at the point they introduced the swingarm frame.

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.10. 2012 23:22 »
Brian,
                 I have a list of frame and engine numbers for the Super Flash, hand written, probably copied from the dispatch book.
Looks like there were only 19 made.
Have a look and see if you can decipher some of the destinations.

Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 26.10. 2012 00:19 »
I cant make many of them out, the stand out one is Bennett and Wood so at least one came to Australia. There is one that looks like Arlington Cycles, there is a Arlington Cycles in the states but who knows. Another one looks like Cliftonville but there seems to be Cliftonville's all over the world.

The engine numbers run in sequence but the frame numbers dont. It would seem they made the engines as a batch but used a frame as required, maybe built to order. The frame numbers are all low in number so they could probably have been built in late 53' very early 54'.

One thing is for certain, if I ever come across a set of crankcases with CA10S stamped on them I will definitely buy them !

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 26.10. 2012 00:42 »
Looks like 5 came to Australia, Brian.
My mate was contacted by one of the original owners a few years ago hoping that he may have his bike.
That's where the pictures came from but the bloke went away disappointed.
That was the first that I had heard of them.
The dates of dispatch seem to be late '53 to early '54.
Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 26.10. 2012 01:33 »
Thats very interesting. As I remember from your photo they were a nice looking bike.

I wonder if the swingarm Star Twin was a similar thing, maybe the 500cc version of them.

Oh well, probably never see one but its always nice to dream.

Online Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 26.10. 2012 07:20 »
Just seen the Super Flash mentioned, and remembered a bike was featured in Classic Bike back in Dec 1995 (just kept interesting articles on A10 etc). "Only around 700 were made for the US market, but the bike featured in Classic Bike is in Oz. It was one of eight imported to Oz by Bennet and Wood of Sydney, this bike was owned by John Cochrane, Central Coast, Sydney. It looks like an early attempt at a RGS, but its a beauty, something about the plunger framed models that sets me off.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 26.10. 2012 07:24 »
The bikes we are refering to here Billy are swingarm frame ones.

The Super Flash that most articles refer to are plunger frame models like the one in the article you have mentioned. We have a forum member that has a pair of plunger Super Flashes.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 27.10. 2012 09:06 »
 I took a blast up to Gatton swap this morning, Mike Reilly was one of the first folk I encountered.
 I asked him, as he knows of at least two (very nice) Super Flashes, and I think is the Secretary of the State BSOC.

He assured me that 17 Swing Arm versions were made (and did make a reference to 'despatch records'), kind of a prelude to the Road Rocket, 5 came to Oz, one of which is known to exist down Sydney way, seemed to think some of the other 12 went to Scandinavian climes.
 Also said they're probably one of the rarest BSA's

That's my 5 cents worth, cheers, duTch

nb-details amended

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline trevinoz

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 27.10. 2012 22:17 »
This is CA10S 106.
The horn has been changed for a "Rising Sun" type, made by RVB in Australia.
A nice looking bike, BSA should have just fitted an alloy head to this model and called it the Road Rocket instead of the heavy looking job they made.
Count the numbers on the dispatch page, Dutch. 19 were made.

Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.10. 2012 02:26 »
I want one !

A very nice looking bike, like Trev said they should have stuck a alloy head on and sold as it was. This is basically a RGS without the head.

I've often thought if I could find a basket case 54' or 55' I would build a bike how I thought it should be and that bike is it.

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 28.10. 2012 08:47 »

Hi Trev, yes I did count the numbers when I first read your post- 19 , which is why I asked Mike twice(or at least once and a half) and he assured me 17, and he did say according to 'despatch records'.
  I'm only passing on what I was told, and this is out of my league, so if you want to call him I think he's on the Qld BSAOC list, if you want I can give his phone # via PM
 Cheers duTch

Yes Brian I'm with you which is how I started building mine- kind of a bit like the Vincent 'Black Lightning'- but long before I'd even heard of one, via the song Cheers
Australia