Author Topic: I've done a silly thing... (forks) *mission accomplished*  (Read 4768 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: I've done a silly thing... *mission accomplished*
« Reply #30 on: 31.10. 2012 22:13 »
Well done young man
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #31 on: 31.10. 2012 22:26 »

Glad to hear you got it out. I was at the point of suggesting some gunpowder and a fuse..... wink2
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 31.10. 2012 23:17 »
I know I'm going to sleep better. *clap*

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #33 on: 31.10. 2012 23:35 »

Glad to hear you got it out. I was at the point of suggesting some gunpowder and a fuse..... wink2

I laid the angle grinder with a cutting disk on it next to the fork legs on the bench the other night after going to bed, just so the bushes knew what was in store if they didn't co-operate!

Offline Gavin

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #34 on: 01.11. 2012 12:21 »
Congrat's Nick. Looks like you may even get it ready for the show. Mine was also a bitsa, and had me well foxed for a while... It's now (30 plus years later) fully functional, and as original as I want it. The best is yet to come for you mate... there is no joy quite like riding down the road with a smile all over ya chops.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 01.11. 2012 13:11 »

well done Nick, I'm hearing you on the 'fettling everything, and mine began in late 70s, never a resto, like Gav, but getting closer to it with everything that doesn't fit.
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #36 on: 01.11. 2012 14:46 »
Is it a coincidence that ,Richard (manosound of curry fame ) lives in windy city ,just a thought ,a strange one I know probably brought on by the relief of knowing those bloody bushes finally relented, seriously well chuffed for you Nick, Cheers BobH 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 01.11. 2012 23:46 »
I am absolutely convinced that the more of a b*tch it is to get on the road, the more fun it is to ride. Had a laugh with the threatening grinder joke.  Dutch, if I respond to your joke, we are both going to be in trouble. However, I will say that "loud" is not an adjective that applies.

Richard L.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 02.11. 2012 08:51 »

Hi Richard, I like it when people think joke/funny, but scratching head a bit there, I'll try and stay right of far left (or is that left of far right)- I don't really do loud too much these days either !
 Nick I'm adopting that tactic as I type

Cheers All
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #39 on: 02.11. 2012 10:31 »
here's a pic of the old rust bucket today at the set up of of the bike show:

It's a '52 B33 motor with a latter big fin head, Goldstar scrambler cams but standard compression piston and pre-war Amal, the frame is an old modified '47 B series rigid which I swapped for a bottle or rum, rigid/plunger model gearbox with a 4 spring triumph clutch with the cush drive centre,  the forks are new hard chromed ones with matched phosphor bronze bushes, Eddie Dow damper rods and progressive springs, early unit A series 8" brake with air scoop that was on an old Goldstar racer that campaigned in NSW in the 80's, front rim is an early Akront, the rear wheel is a 50's Triumph hub on a new Morad and i'm using an old misc front mudguard as a rear guard, the seat is new, it has a Lucas N1 maggy and the tank is from some '70's japanese dirt bike. the handlebars came off a KR750 Harley. the brakes don't work yet and I haven't turned up a proper rear axle yet or shimmed the primary in line. The bike was once raced in Tasmania then turned into a club run bike in the 80's, after the previous owner passed on I picked up the bike from a shed and began assessing what was salvageable and what was not, i've tried to return it to some kind of 50's race bike and will hopefully get it on the Broadford Dirt Track soon enough. I have a 21" Morad in the shed i think i might swap the front 18" not sure yet i'll get it running properly then decide.

I also have a half complete M21 which I want to do a proper restoration on but I need to get my own lathe and learn to weld first, small steps, I'm getting there slowly.

-Nick

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 02.11. 2012 12:28 »

Now, I'm confused. Nick, do you own an A7 or A10, as well? Are you planning on getting one?  Is that the state in which the B33 will remain, or is there a restoration taking place?

Richard L.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 02.11. 2012 16:04 »
Now that looks real sweet. Not going to get far on that tank range though I'd guess.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline *nick*

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Moving Up
« Reply #42 on: 02.11. 2012 23:17 »

Now, I'm confused. Nick, do you own an A7 or A10, as well? Are you planning on getting one?  Is that the state in which the B33 will remain, or is there a restoration taking place?

Richard L.

Richard the bike is an ex-race bike from Tasmania Australia, it raced circuit style tracks in the 50's but they were dirt roads not bitumen, it was at plunger model when i found it but I gave the plunger frame to a friend who needed one after I found an old modified rigid frame which I have re-built the bike around, I'm trying to emulate something like what it would have originally been raced as. I have an M21 which i am doing a proper correct restoration on but alas no A series bikes, i joined the forum some years ago as an observed after I was offered an 80% complete Golden Flash basket case for peanuts but I turned it down as I didn't really know what it was at the time. -Nick

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Nick,

If you like some advise, get yourself an A10, a welding kit and a lathe, cos that's the things with which I have the most fun in my life (that's next to the missus *respect* of course!)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
and a 10 ton press, Nick.
Its amazing how things cooperate after a little squeeze.
cheers