Author Topic: Swing Arm Question  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Swing Arm Question
« on: 03.11. 2012 21:51 »
My SR came with what looks to be a 19" A65 rear wheel (19" A65 front wheel also) - the brake rod goes straight back to the brake hub pivot lever and the brake anchor is also on the left side of the swing arm.  The hub is a quick release.  Looking through several Spare Parts manuals and Service Sheets manuals I notice quick release hubs and full width hubs for the A10 models.  All the restored and unrestored SRs I have seen in photos have the cross-over brake shaft, arm, and cable. 

Not only did the PO change the rear wheel, but the swing arm had to be changed also.  Now I am in the hunt for a swing arm - recommendations?  I wish the PO was still with us, I have so many questions for that guy. 

Thanks for any comments guys,

Steve

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Swing Arm Question
« Reply #1 on: 03.11. 2012 22:35 »
Steve,
                  Post some photos.
1954/5 had the brake as described. RGS also.
What is the front wheel? Full width or half width brake drum type?

Trev.

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #2 on: 04.11. 2012 04:10 »
Steve where are you, in OZ ?

Some South Aust police bikes also came with that rear wheel set up.

On the left side of the frame there is a loop that holds the pillon footpeg, where the bottom of that loop attaches to the main frame is there a hole through the main frame ?

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 10.11. 2012 19:02 »
Sorry it took so long to post these photos - 1st time at it.  We shall see if it happens when I post this.

Both front and rear wheels appear to be A65 vintage.  Neither are full-width, cast hubs.  Swing arm at the left side has lug w/hole for the brake stay.  No cross shaft from left to right side with cable, etc to rear hub on right side.

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 10.11. 2012 19:15 »
Here is a photo of my '58 SR project.  What is the double hole on the nacelle?  One for a bulb and one for the switch?

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.11. 2012 19:28 »
A65 nacelle, lighting and ignition switches.
Trev.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 10.11. 2012 19:38 »
Well you have done better than me with the pictures. I have tried and tried to post an introduction of myself with pictures. Failed every time!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 10.11. 2012 19:41 »
 G'dat Steve, with Trev picking the headlight nacelle as A65, the rear wheel looks to be a later A65 (or may be B series) with speedo drive.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.11. 2012 21:55 »
Hi Steve,
It looks as if the PO was a serious rider ???? ????
The QD rear wheel and rod brake gives a much better brake than the crossover shaft and cable
This type of wheel is also lot lighter than the full width iron hub
The solid swing arm pin is a smaller dia than the hollow one ! so has the frame has been modded to take the smaller pin??
The 8 inch single sided  front brake is regarded as the best that BSA made and yours appears to be the iron hub with the vent holes , much sought after  *ex* *ex*
If you were to revert to the standard A10 setup you would also need different fork bottom legs

The parts fitted to your bike are very sought after by those building RGS lookalikes
So why not dump the nacelle and fit chrome shrouds and headlamp, or even gold star type headlamp mounts?? *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile* *smile*

The bikes modifications form part of its history !!!! and thats to be commeneded in my opinion

Regards
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 11.11. 2012 00:40 »
Excellent feedback from everyone.  It just astounds me that someone would swap out so many A10 parts for A65 stuff.  Why not buy an A65 to begin with?  And where are all the missing A10 parts?  The PO is deceased and his wife has no info.  This guy (now his wife) own's one of the biggest Indian used parts shops in the US and built a lot of hill-climbing Indians.  Maybe that was his plan for the SR.

I like original parts on my stuff, or at least NOS or parts that were bolted on at the factory or by dealers.  Optional stuff is good too.  I am definitely keeping eBay busy.  It's tough for me to build a half A10, half A65 bike.  Doesn't the original stuff have more value?

That's what was confusing me about the headlight.  All the SR photos I have seen have the typical headlight with speedo and tach on a separate bracket which to me looks way better than the nacelle.  I thought it was an imported bike to the US.

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #10 on: 11.11. 2012 06:16 »
Bit of a dilemma Steve, everthing they have done to your bike is actually an improvement over what was originally on it.

The rear wheel is definitely A65, the speedo drive and detachable sprocket denote that.

The front wheel is actually a genuine RGS or Gold Star one, the small holes in the back of the hub plus the finning on the drum show that.

I would be inclined to go with John's suggestion, it would make a very nice bike even though not original.

If you really want to make it original you are going to have to find a lot of parts, swingarm, both wheels and front forks, complete nacelle assembly etc. Might be a better option to sell what you have and look for a more original one.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 11.11. 2012 09:40 »

I also go with those opinions re the rear wheel. It's almost the same as a '54/'55 which I had on my plunger till I knew better, with same chainwheel as yours , but I think difference is maybe a external L/H(?) thread, or notches(?) to hold the speedo drive?
 Problem was the chainwheel has a different outer bearing which the plunger sleeve(67-6060),didn't fit, and the chain didn't run true(different spacers, or bent frame).
Also may not matter with yours, but the sprocket size was way wrong 47(?) instead of 42, looks like yours is made for hillclimbs.
 cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 11.11. 2012 14:45 »
More great feedback - you guys are excellent.  My interpretation of what I have and how to repair/rebuild keeps getting more cloudy.  With all these off-model parts, parts books and A10 manuals don't hold 100% useable info.

Will the swing arm be functional/safe at the frame connection?  How do identify it and locate the correct bushings, etc?

Is the front end completely A65?  Again, how do I identify it for rebuilding?

Although I have purchased used full-width cast iron f & r hubs, I may put them back on eBay.  Better brakes BSA are a good thing. 

Does the gas tank appear to be A10 or A65?  Looks large to me - 4 gal?

The seat does not fit the frame - to me at least.  No seat mounting hardware came with the bike.

Do you guys have a good source for speedos & rev counters?

Recommendations on motor, head, & gearbox tear down & rebuild?  I can ask these off-swing arm questions in
a more appropriate post if it's recommended.

Thanks for any info you guys post!!!

Steve

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 11.11. 2012 18:45 »
HI Steve
I hope my highlighting works???

Will the swing arm be functional/safe at the frame connection?  How do identify it and locate the correct bushings, etc?

Have a close look at the frame plates where the pivot is, and look for signs of modification
if it's solid then I think it will be ok, if reducing bushes have bee fitted and the job is well done it it should also be ok

Is the front end completely A65?  Again, how do I identify it for rebuilding?

Look at the bottom of the fork lower legs there may be a hole in line with the centre of the leg (like on japanese bikes) if this is there then the forks could be A65, This is where the A65 damper unit is bolted. I dont know if all the early A65 legs were like this or not, again an improvement over the A10 dampers.
Other than that the fork internals are the same as A or B series that use the single sided hub

Although I have purchased used full-width cast iron f & r hubs, I may put them back on eBay.  Better brakes BSA are a good thing.

Always *smile*

Does the gas tank appear to be A10 or A65?  Looks large to me - 4 gal?

UK and most other places had 4 gallon tanks, what diamater are the tank badges? 3in. round would be correct for 58 I think all A65's had pear shaped badges

The seat does not fit the frame - to me at least.  No seat mounting hardware came with the bike.

Its not an A10 seat !! photos are too smal to get a proper look

Do you guys have a good source for speedos & rev counters?

There are several good people who supply reconditioned speedos /rev counters in the UK
I think Ebay prices are OTT

HTH
John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 24.11. 2012 19:21 »
Hey John and everyone else,

For whatever reason, trying to post a reply with photos is denied - "file too large".  Even with just one photo??

The swingarm install appears tidy and tight - it stays up (level with floor) by itself.  Is that cool or should it's own weight cause it to fall to the floor?

The tank badge diameter is 3".

I can't post photos of the bottoms of the fork legs. *sad2*  There is a main axle that threads into the bottom of the opposite side fork leg.  There are clamp bolts at the bottom of each fork bottom.  Does the entire front end appear to be from an A65 or are there parts of an A10 also.  Need to have some idea when I want to order fork seals, springs, etc.

Does anyone have contact info for those who rebuild tachos and speedos?

Thanks,

Steve