Author Topic: Swing Arm Question  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Re: Swing Arm Question
« Reply #15 on: 24.11. 2012 19:33 »
I have also noted the same swingarm on my SR can be seen in photos of GF and RGS models where those bikes have the same brake rod set-up on the left side as well as the left side hub - no full width hub.  In terms of finding a chain guard, what BSA models sported the swingarm that I have to help sorting which 'guard to buy?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 25.11. 2012 11:13 »
There is a limit on the size of photo files.

O[en the image on your screen then use the "save for the web" option.
If you do not have that then try to email the photos to yourself. most email applications will automatically down size the image.
If you have image editing application then open the image, and resize it to 6" x 4" @ 72 dpi.

The swing arm should drop to the floor under it's own weight, but very few do due to hardening of the rubber.
Quick & nasty test is to remove the shocks with the wheel in the frame.
\If the rear of the bike drops down onto the wheel it is useable provided there is no side play.
If it stays where it was it is cactus & I have had some that stayed up even with 2 people sitting on the bike.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 25.11. 2012 17:39 »
Hi Trevor /Steve
I have to disagree with your point on the swingarm dropping under its own weight !!
The silentbloc (inner) bushes should be clamped in place by the tightening of the pin nut
The swing arm should be springy , when moved and return to centre,
the pivoting is achieved by the rubber in torsion
When setting up the bike the swing arm nut should only be tightened when the bike is resting on its wheels with a riders weight onboard

The chainguard should be the 54/55 type or "goldie / rgs type"

A quick google on chrono speedos
http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/
http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk/index.html
 http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/             
Ian Bartram    01502 476612    Beccles Suffolk

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 25.11. 2012 19:17 »
John,

My swing arm looks real close to a red A65 swingarm that is on eBay right now.  The brake stay is on the left side along with two mounts for what I am assuming would be the c-guard look just like what's on mine.

Still should be the 54/55 or RGS Goldie type??  I started searching eBay for A65 parts to see if anything looks familiar.  I saw an A65 nacelle that Trev & Muskrat correctly ID'd.  Still don't know if the entire fork assembly is A65 or some combination of A10 & A65 parts.

So many switched parts on this Magical Mystery Tour bike.  Craaazy!!

Thanks guys!!!

Steve

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 25.11. 2012 20:40 »
Steve,
                   Have a look at the bottom of your fork sliders.
If there is a hole and an Allen socket screw visible, they are A65.
Measure the depth of the front brake drum.
A65 is wider than A10, post about 1965.

Trev.

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #20 on: 25.11. 2012 21:32 »
Hey Trev,

I had photos of the fork bottoms ready to post but was shut down by the "file size".  Odd due to being able to post several at the same time earlier in the thread.

Anyway, no allenhead screws nor holes - just axle clamp bolts and fender strap bolt tabs.  The axle slips through the left fork bottom and threads into the right fork bottom - if that helps w/identifying things.  So that begs (another) mystery question - why put an A65 nacelle on A10 forks??

Saw another SR ('61) with a nacelle so it looks like it's going to stay after all.  Buy a separate rev counter and mount it centrally in a bracket bolted to something over the top yoke is the plan.

Thanks,

Steve