Author Topic: longstroke dynamo belt conversion  (Read 919 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
longstroke dynamo belt conversion
« on: 09.11. 2012 14:27 »
hi fella's, got the dynamo belt conversion from srm and now fitted, just thought i'd let you all know how i got on with it. fitting wasnt 100% straightforward, but not that much hassle at all. the main problem as i suspected was the larger of the two pulleys was slightly to big to clear the inner & outter timming covers as the outer edges of the bigger pulley was fouling on the caseings, i overcame this though by scrapeing away the excess material from the timming covers a bit at a time with the square edge of a sharp chisel, i know this sounds like a bit of a bodge useing a chisel, but it worked really well. after that it came time to fit and tension the belt its self, the very brief instructions regarding tension that came with the pulley said....
"the tension of the belt is checked by holding the belt between the two pulleys with thumb and forefinger, the belt must be easily twisted through 90 degrees with almost no resistance"
i followed the instructions which resulted in a bit under half an inch play in the middle of the belt, i was a little worried but it seems to be fine and hasnt slipped off after around 70 mile's.
before i re-fitted the outer timming cover i packed the dynamo compartment with a mixture of grease and straight 40 oil, which was quite runny at room tempreture but i used a trick i picked up on this forum (cheers again) of putting the grease/oil in the frezzer over night in a self seal plastic bag, when it came time to put the grease in i just cut a small corner off the self seal bag and piped the grease in like i was making a cake. worked a treat.
since i have fitted this dynamo belt it has made a massive difference on how quite the motor sounds, no more nasty rattles which i thought might of been top end rattle, and when riding at around the 50 mile an hour mark there also seems to be a hell of a lot less viberation, i can now look in my bar end mirrors and actualy see whats behind me at 50 mph without them shaking all over the place. result.
all the best fella's, chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: longstroke dynamo belt conversion
« Reply #1 on: 09.11. 2012 15:10 »
Good aren't they? 10% faster rotation in the dynamo means it cuts in sooner and a higher rate of charge at lower revs............... Or wears the dynamo out 10% quicker depending on wether you are a glass half full or half empty sort of geeza! *lol*
 Why did you put grease in?
 I was at S.R.M. a few months ago, and while we were checking some stuff out, Geoff asked me why I had put grease in there? "Because Gary told me to when I bought it." Was my reply. "No need to" was his......... It seems to be of no consequence wether you do or don't. Next time the cover is off I think I will clean all the greasy mess up, and run it dry.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Re: longstroke dynamo belt conversion
« Reply #2 on: 09.11. 2012 15:25 »
hi there metalflake, the belts are very good, for me the main reason for changing over to the belt conversion was after buying a new dynamo chain and sprockets it didnt stop the rattle, and after taking the timing cover off again to re-check the tension of the chain i found that because the main chain sprocket was badly centered from new it made it impossible to get the right tension which resulted in either overtight half a revolution round or undertight with a further half a revouloution. with the grease it was the same reason as you, when i purchased it the guy from srm said the grease helps to keep the belt from overheating ?. just thought it was better to be safe than sorry. all the best fella, chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.