Author Topic: Flash side stand  (Read 1483 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Flash side stand
« on: 10.11. 2012 15:21 »
My stand has worn out, can anyone recomend a clamp on side stand and supplier. Really don't like the look of the ebay stuff.

ta Colin

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Flash side stand
« Reply #1 on: 10.11. 2012 15:55 »
It's not just the E bay ones, most of them seem to have been manufactured from cast iron, and as any budding metallurgist will know cast iron is brittle and breaks. At a bike meet this year, an A10 ended up on its side due to the failure of a new side stand. I know this is not the answer to your question, but it is a real problem and if anyone can recommend a supplier it might be worth making note of on the forum.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.11. 2012 16:11 »
I've bought two in the last ten years one from C&D Autos and one From Lyford Classics, both have been fine, the Lyfords one they told me would need a file through the holes to get them to line up, which it did so fair enough,  they (Pat) also had a choice (this is a couple of years back) the one I bought was around the twenty pound mark or I could have a British one at over a Hundred.
So I can't really help much however I would say neither stand is exactly right to my eye for shape and stability they don't seem to come forward far enough so that the bike has to be on level ground or looking uphill otherwise if facing downhill by the smallest degree it will roll forward and the stand fold back DAMHIK
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #3 on: 10.11. 2012 21:50 »

Hi Colin,

Wouldn't trust the clamp on types though.
Mine had one, and one day the clamp slipped on the frame tube. I grabbed it just in time to prevent it falling over.
The bike still had the welded on bracket, but the bracket on the stand didn't fit, so I welded up the holes, and drilled new ones.
Now it stands a little to much inclined to my taste, but at least it won't slip any more.

Following link shows a stand that should fit the bracket on the frame;

http://www.petersclassicbikeparts.nl/contents/nl/d73_03.html

It don't come cheap, but I am thinking of getting one of these.

Good luck,
Patrick
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 11.11. 2012 14:31 »
Hi Morris
Looks good, but I have NO lug on my 10054 frame. Back to the drawing board ?

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 11.11. 2012 22:10 »

Maybe someone ground it off ????
I checked my parts book, and it also clearly shows a welded on lug on the frame. (frame number FA7/3109)
Your situation indeed leaves not much options, except to look for a good quality clamp on stand, and maybe tack weld the upper part of the clamp on?

Good luck,
Patrick
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 12.11. 2012 15:16 »
Hi
My frame number is CA7 1609 ( 1954 ). I have been told that a lug cannot be welded on without the pain of taking the engine out ? YUK, wrong time of year.

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 12.11. 2012 16:16 »
Slightly O/T but I've noticed that in period photos of A10s the prop stand seemed highly variable. Earlier ones seem to be well tucked in whereas the later ones (like my 1961 model) stick out rather like the currently available ones.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)