Author Topic: Stainless rims  (Read 920 times)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
Stainless rims
« on: 12.11. 2012 03:31 »
Hi all, has anyone here bought the stainless rims from India? I know a lot of the stuff that comes from there leave a lot to be desired as far as quality is concerned? A friend bought a tank from there and it was beautifully chromed but had ripples in it!!! I enquired re the rims and they put a pair for a Royal Enfield on eBay for me to buy saying they were correct for my Gold Flash 59 with the full width cast hubs. Any help or advice here would really be appreciated. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: Stainless rims
« Reply #1 on: 12.11. 2012 03:45 »
Hello Gerry,
                I bought one about two years ago to put on the back of a plunger A10. I would have to say the quality was average, the spoke holes did not line up correctly and it had quite a distinctive kink in the rim where the weld is.

If the bike they were intended for has hubs the same width and diameter as the BSA ones that part should be ok. As for the kink where the rim is joined that could vary from rim to rim, maybe I got a particularly bad one. That seems to be one of the problems with the Indian stuff, no two items are the same.

They are cheap, but thats about all they have going for them. Same old story I suppose, you get what you pay for.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.11. 2012 05:56 »
I don't know how much cheaper it might be to ship from India versus the US or UK, but I am sure you could do better
from one of these two places:

http://www.buchananspokes.net/
http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

Richard L.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 12.11. 2012 18:44 »
G'day Gerry, just laced up one for a tiger cub. Found pretty much the same as Brian. Looking to get a pair for my A65, then may treat the '51.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 13.11. 2012 05:41 »
Hi Brian, Richard and Muskrat,
I thought as much, I know others who have purchased stuff from India and werent happy with their win so I suppose better to bite the bullet and spend a couple hundred extra dollars and get my original ones chromed. I'll get onto them though and mention what has been the case with you blokes and see what they say. Will post their reply here...if I get one. Cheers fellas and thanks for the info' it is appreciated. Ride safe. Gerry

Offline Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
« Reply #5 on: 13.11. 2012 05:53 »
Gerry where are you ? I had a rim rechromed at Classic Chrome in Geelong a couple of years ago and was very happy with the quality and the price.

If your rims are still in good condition except the chrome I would contact them for quote.

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 15.11. 2012 03:13 »
Hi Brian, I am in the Nth of Adelaide and the cheapest I could find was $120 per rim which I thought was a steal....until I took the rims in the following week and the price had doubled! A Class Metal Finishers are even dearer but best quality. I found a chap who had bought a pair from India on the Indain Suppliers web site in eBay and sent him a message re quality and he was very pleased with his. I can get a pair for $150 including postage so might give them a try and if no good bite the bullet and get mine rechromed later as they are Jones originals. Will post here the results of my folly. Cheers and ride safe. Gerry