Author Topic: Engineering?  (Read 999 times)

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Engineering?
« on: 26.11. 2012 16:14 »
Does anyone on here (UK) do engineering work for people?
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Engineering?
« Reply #1 on: 26.11. 2012 20:44 »
Hi Metalflake,
I'm fairly sure you should be able to find sombody close enough to you to engineering work
Where are you in the UK its a big enough place LOL

What do you need doing?

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 26.11. 2012 22:04 »
Hello John, there are surprisingly few engineering shops in Manchester that will take the work on. Many only want massive orders or only deal in metric. The others have made a right Horlics of the job. I have been using an old fella from up in Scotland recently but he is winding things down with a view to retirement. He is doing a couple of 1/2" stainless spindles with a 1/2" whitworth thread on each end. Nothing I want doing is overly difficult, and I may end up buying a small lathe if I can't find somebody.
                             Regards Rob.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 26.11. 2012 22:28 »
Hi Rob
I am probably as near Manchester as Scotland LOL!! Southern Ireland !!
If bits are a postable size I can probably make them,  I have found buying on fleabay that UK post seems to be after getting expensive though ???
What kind of spindles have whit thread??

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 26.11. 2012 22:39 »
They are for a set of springer forks. These spidles go from the spring top nut to the front rail and keep the spring holders in place. Can you work with stainless? I want 4 rocker box bolts making and 8 inspection cover nuts, but with a bit of a twist!!!!
                                                       Thanks John!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 27.11. 2012 10:42 »
If you post a message on the Realclassics message board (http://www.ikba.co.uk/) FAO Humbernut you should get a positive response. He is a very skilled machinist who has built all sorts of complex bits and his workmanship is superb.

Plus I believe he's not far from Manchester!
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 27.11. 2012 11:41 »
If you post a message on the Realclassics message board (http://www.ikba.co.uk/) FAO Humbernut you should get a positive response. He is a very skilled machinist who has built all sorts of complex bits and his workmanship is superb.

Plus I believe he's not far from Manchester!

I can second that as I also used Bob (Humbernut) to make me a special tool for my washing machine work.

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 27.11. 2012 17:07 »
Hi Rob,
For sure try humbernut, I have seen the articles on his engines etc
No problem with stainless, I make a lot of stainless fasteners etc, quicker to make them than have to wait a week for postal system to deliver.
I find that when rebuilding/restoring a bike or engine that one of the major costs are fasteners and thread repairs
I know there are a lot of kits available, some good some not so, the cheapo cad/zinc kits I dont bother with
pure sh1te !!!

Theres a photo of my own SR at the end of this thread, http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,6386.0.html
99% of the fasteners and fittings are stainless, mostly self made

Cheers
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 27.11. 2012 19:59 »
Hello John
   Thanks for responding, Humbernut seems to be a good guy, but it would be easier to explain what I want to you as you have a (very smart, by the way!) A10 in the garage.
 For the four bolts on the top of the rocker box I want the heads to be longer and reduce down to a spike. So, you would have the stock thread, stock unthreaded portion, stock head 1/4" deep and then a non stock taper from there, down to a point over a length of about 3/4". This will give me a total length of about 1" of nut above the rocker box............. I then want eight inspection cover nuts as standard, with the round section and hex section above it but with a similar taper coming to a point. So basically 4 bolts and eight nuts with tapered heads rather than machining them flat.  all in stainless. .........Fancy having a go for me? If so let me know the price and how you want paying!
                        Thanks again Rob.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 27.11. 2012 23:33 »
Hi Rob,
Send me a pm and we will sort the details,

Cheers
John