Author Topic: Throttle slider  (Read 1327 times)

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Throttle slider
« on: 17.11. 2012 10:15 »
Can someone please advise...   I purchased a NEW 3.5 throttle slider to replace my old worn out 3 1/2 ... in my Monobloc 376.... are they the same?    ????
the new 3.5 is VERY tight in the carb body, & the spring would not be strong enough to return the slider...    *cry*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Throttle slider
« Reply #1 on: 17.11. 2012 10:20 »
You won't want to hear this but your carb body maybe be distorted and this did not show up because your slide was worn?

The bodies get distorted through age and/or the manifold bolts being done up too tight, of rubber o rings going hard through age etc.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 17.11. 2012 11:27 »
Try loosening the flange nuts on the carb fixing, you may find the slide will be ok. Myconcentric would always cause the slide to stick if the nuts were tight. have tried flattening the mating surfaces to no avail. Fed up with Amal quality now so gone mikuni.  Of course you should first check the slide with a vernier to make sure its not distorted.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2012 11:55 »
Try loosening the flange nuts on the carb fixing, you may find the slide will be ok. Myconcentric would always cause the slide to stick if the nuts were tight. have tried flattening the mating surfaces to no avail. Fed up with Amal quality now so gone mikuni.  Of course you should first check the slide with a vernier to make sure its not distorted.

I think the body must be nackered because the slides look the same ( except for wear )
& the carb is off the bike..   BUGGER
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2012 14:43 »
If what is distorted can be retorted (new word I offer it for use free). A bit of dowel exact same size as the slide but with a small chamfer on the bottom squeezed down in a little at a time (bit of grease would be good) might bring the body back to round. if it's off to start with you have nothing to loose
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
Re: Throttle slide
« Reply #5 on: 20.11. 2012 22:49 »
sticking carb slides, can sometimes be cured by squeezing the carb body with channel locks, (making it round again ) wrapped with electrical tape, small twine, etc. to keep from marking the carb body.Carb off bike, Leave the jet block in, and pre tightened to where you run it on the bike, so the situations are the same as riding the bike.  Now take top of carb off, raise the slide until it sticks, look for gaps between body and slide, now squeeze with the channel locks, moving slowly around the carb body, until the slide drops all by itself.    Some guys have taken to filling the o-ring groove, with high temp RTV silicone just flush with surface, and running gaskets made out of high temp gasket material, (THICKER THAN THE FACTORY ONES). I run the soft type insulator and 2 homemade gaskets, I do not like the hard phenolic ones, they transfer more heat to the fuel charge, than the soft ones.  You can run 2 of the soft Insulators if studs are long enough.  Never over-tighten the carb flange even without an o-ring, just flatten the locks barely, and I also use nylock nuts , big difference.  Make sure the manifold is flat and also the carb flange, use plate glass and wet and dry paper to correct. Also o-rings get hard and distort the carb body.

RGS-BILL
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #6 on: 21.11. 2012 01:05 »
PM sent  thanks RGS-Bill
'51 Golden Flash Plunger

Melbourne

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 04.12. 2012 14:26 »
Would a little pre-heat help the channel locks?  Torch or small kitchen countertop oven?  Remove any non-metal parts 1st like jets w/rubber o-rings, etc.

Thanks,

Steve