Author Topic: WARNING re Kickstart .  (Read 800 times)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
WARNING re Kickstart .
« on: 30.11. 2012 07:47 »
After having My kickstart lever re-chromed recently , 1955/56 "Flash" S/A I found it striking the silencer (straight type) .
Didnt realise but there appear to be 2 types of kickstart lever i.e :one has a maximum clearance when measured on a flat surface of 1 3/4" & one with clearance of a full 2" ..presumably to miss the straight type silencer ..as this never occured pre-plating I can only assume it has got mixed up at the platers ?

Worth checking this dimension before sending for chroming ?
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: WARNING re Kickstart .
« Reply #1 on: 30.11. 2012 10:31 »
Hi Stephen
Yep your spot on, the cranked kick start lever sold by many dealers for A10 are not quite cranked enough.
Also to consider is how much end float the quadrant shaft has, I stopped my lever from marking the silencer chrome ( only now and then would it touch) by cutting an old bush down and fitting it between the kick start lever and the gearbox, I left room for an O ring next to the gearbox so it holds the lever out away from the silencer and helps a little to keep the box cover oil free and gives a bit of a cushion so you can't over do things.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Re: WARNING re Kickstart .
« Reply #2 on: 30.11. 2012 10:54 »
Good idea Bill .
Had looked at that Myself but I exchanged Mine for a correct one & am fine now .
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .