Author Topic: Anyone ever sorted a worn centrestand?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Anyone ever sorted a worn centrestand?
« on: 07.10. 2008 12:24 »
Hello,

The Haynes manual shows the centre stand shaft to have a nut on the end ofit. By memory mine doesn't. Its just peened over. So it'll need cutting off

I expect that both the centrestand and the frame holes will be worn.
Is the best bet to drill out the oval holes to a bigger size and get some sleeves made up?..or to weld up the holes and then drill them out?

I really don't want to remove the stand until this has all been thought through, as the bike becomes a pain to do things with once the stand is off.

I also have no intention whatsoever of a complete strip down to the bare frame to sort this either.
It 's just the clanging when I go over bumps in the road really bugs me.

Cheers,
Iain

Offline snowbeard

• American Citizen in Lisbon, Portugal
  • A's Good Friend
Re: Anyone ever sorted a worn centrestand?
« Reply #1 on: 07.10. 2008 17:33 »
mine is worn too, and I was beginning to fear it falling of center sometime.  I fixed mine with a sidestand  ;)

but actually, I haven't had it apart, but I did have to add a bolt to the frame as a stop for it coming all the way up?  mine has no arm to get at it, so it would pull so far up behind the chain that I could barely reach it from the side of the bike by hand!  so I put a bolt onto one of the holes above it that hits the stand and keeps it slightly down. 

just thinking it's possible that if you did something similar, it might put enough extra pressure on the spring to hold it tighter in transit?
\1981 Suzi GS650
\1988 BMW K100LT in Lisbon!!

=

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 07.10. 2008 20:04 »
Come to think of it, a 50 year old spring probably doesnt help matters either *smile*
Cheers,
Iain

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 07.10. 2008 22:23 »
The centre stand with the nuts on the shaft is the 1954 - 57 type. It has a shaft with a sleeve which bolts up tightly between the frame mounts. The stand rotates on the sleeve. I have found mostly that the sleeve wears and the stand is OK.
On post '57 bikes I use the cast stand as the fabricated ones used in 1958 - 59 are usually beyond repair. The frame lugs, stand and spindle are usually worn so I bush the frame and stand, make a new spindle and drill and tap the frame lugs to fit grub screws to stop the spindle moving in the lugs. This stops the frame from wearing and future repairs, if any, will only be rebushing the stand and new spindle.
These stand spindles were secured with split pins and washers and a thackery washer to stop rattles.
                        Trev.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 07.10. 2008 22:27 »
Another point, most of the springs on the market these days are too long and don't hold the stand tight.
You may have to build up the frame lugs and the pads on the stand where they contact each other.
       Trev.

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 08.10. 2008 08:39 »
Cheers Trev,
It's a '59 frame. I'll investigate further.
Iain