Author Topic: Mag preference inquiry  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Mag preference inquiry
« on: 01.12. 2012 00:49 »
Since the mag at came with my '58 SR is missing so many parts, I was curious what is the preference - manual or automatic?  There is a rebuilt auto on Flea Bay - are they all interchangeable between different year A10's?

eBay item # is 130808706312

Thanks guys,

Steve

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Mag preference inquiry
« Reply #1 on: 01.12. 2012 10:40 »
I would go automatic, but you can spend a lot of money on old magnetos might be better fitting a brand new one       http://bt-h.biz/twin_mag.htm
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.12. 2012 11:17 »
I would go automatic, but you can spend a lot of money on old magnetos might be better fitting a brand new one       http://bt-h.biz/twin_mag.htm

Tony Cooper would refurbish three magnetos for the price of one of those.

Oh wait- there's VAT.  Make that four.

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 01.12. 2012 11:32 »
Just had the manual magneto from the "Shooting Star" refurbished by Tony Cooper ..just as new now !
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 01.12. 2012 15:04 »
Wo has contact info for Tony?

Thanks,

Steve

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #5 on: 01.12. 2012 15:54 »
Who has contact info for Tony?

Tony Cooper does not seem to have a website or an email adderess but can be contacted at:

Tony Cooper Motorcycles
110, Olive Lane,
Halesowen,
West Midlands,
B62 8LT

Tel 0121 5592405
Fax 0121 5612410

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #6 on: 02.12. 2012 01:05 »
I was recently lent a "fully recond" red K2F and must admit it was an expensive piece of junk, I was pleased to give it back and that it wasnt mine.
Sorting them out needs a combination of electrical and mechanical sensitivity that is hard to come by.

My race bike runs a new Hoe Hunt,
https://www.huntmagnetos.com/store/Magnetos%20-%20Ride%20With%20The%20Thunder!!/storeview_1278.html?id=78  
but even that was a pig to fit, the flange plate was too thin and we had to mill the cases to provide clearance, but having done that am reasonably happy with. (have still had a coil failure)
The new flange plate we've slotted so timing can be altered without case removal.

I do also have a BT-H unit, not really suitable for methanol, but good for a road bike. Not convinced I'd do that again. It will go on my super rocket.
Personally I like manual ignition mags, not only original fitment for the RR and SR but nice to live with. My B33 has the old manual ign lucas mag and has a lovely low idle. But it hates rain!

another option is to fit coil and points if you have a decent generator but not a complete mag.

Yes they are all interchangeable, just some have an auto advance retard and the manual ones a fixed gear.

A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.12. 2012 21:18 »
Hi All,
Recently I saw at a guys workshop an ignition system he had made up to fit a BSA and another for an Ariel single
Basically he used the ignition system from a racing kart engine and made a new housing with bearings and shaft to take the kart engine rotor on one end and mag drive at the other
The coil is bolted on with its poles facing the rotor periphery, (think of chainsaw or strimmer engine)
I was just thinking why not add another coil at 180 degrees and fit to a twin  ???? ???? ????
These ignitions do not have points or any wearing parts to worry about, I do not know if they have a built in advance curve?? but it would work with a mechanical auto advance, or manual control by making the coil plate movable???

*eek* I feel another headache coming on !!!!

John

1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 02.12. 2012 23:15 »
Hey John,

Headache here too trying to imagine what that set-up would look like and how it would bolt up - any photos for pain relief?

Thanks,

Steve