Author Topic: Ultra-sound to improve the efficiency of our A10 motors??  (Read 946 times)

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
How much more efficient can our bikes get? All of them built at least 50 years ago, still running with fuel return as good as most modern bikes, and as reliable if looked after. Compare that to lesser machines that have ended up back in Japan as  scrap metal, then come back as a refrigerator, back again to return as a microwave etc. etc. They travel thousands and thousands of miles by truck at eight to the gallon and by ship at umpteen gallons per mile.  Ours are about as efficient as it gets when you look at it like that and as such our petrol and spares should be tax deductable!
                                Rob (sat on his high horse)
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Hey Rob,

Agree w/you 100%.  I just like digging for info and when I find something with potential A10 merit, I like to pass it on.  Keeps the old mind nimble.  By the way, where is that wrench I just put down?? *smile*

Thanks,

Steve

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
 Good one Steve. Their bound to find other uses as well.
I always chamfer the piston skirt so it cuts through the oil on the cylinder wall instead of pushing it out of the way. Much less drag, more power to the rear wheel, and no noticeable increase in wear of the piston, rings or bore.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Hey Muskrat,

Any photos of the chamfer you put on the skirts?  I am trying to gather all the info available before dropping off the lower end to a British bike mechanic who is actually British and lives kinda close to me.  Stopped in his shop two years ago - nice, competent chap.  www.britanniamotorcycles.com

Thanks,

Steve

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Hello Steve
    My post wasn't meant in any way to be a put down, it's just me............ Any time I read or hear about emmisions, I have a fit! The very place our bikes were born was six miles under ice at a time when man thought having a spear was state of the art, never mind a bike. The climate changes with or without fossil fuel.
 Most of all I become incandescant with rage when a bunch of lying, cheating, expense fiddling, self righteous perverts charter aeroplanes to fly half way round the world (Using more fuel than we ever will) to have a good old jolly up at our expense. To justify all this waste and nonsense, they then see fit to patronise us in a manner you would with a small child by telling us to use less fuel.
              Rob (who is now being sedated while wearing his white jacket with long sleeves that go round the back)
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline Housewiz

• A's Good Friend
Hey Rob,

The planet needs more passionate people out there with actually something to say - keep it up!! 

I am of a similar makeup.  Which was the reason I chose to restore 40 year-old electric garden tractors - very little juice goes a really long way with the quiet beasts.  www.watts-up-elec-traks.com

Now it's time to make a little noise - in around a year when I finish this SR project bike.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend

Good one Steve! I also retore British Seagull outboard motors from the 40's and 50's  (102 models for anybody in the know) to an as new standard. Love the old stuff. Good luck with the SR!
                                                   Rob.

England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
 G'day Steve.
                   Great link to britannia, looks like he knows his stuff. Had to check out the Montesa bit. Had a '69 GPMX360 as a 13 year old.
Pic of my pistons chamfer. Just done with a dremel and wet & dry.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7