Author Topic: Preferred method for barrel removal  (Read 2341 times)

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: Preferred method for barrel removal
« Reply #15 on: 09.12. 2012 01:48 »
Yes I too use the Indian Rope Trick.
Back off the rockers slip some good rope ( hemp is best ) down the plug holes then either a couple of swift kicks or a bit of a walk down hill in top.
Never fails
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #16 on: 09.12. 2012 16:21 »

Glad it worked Steve, I came on that idea by misdemeanor long time gone, where bodgy nuts had locked onto too-long studs, and the only way out was up, so was born a not so useless idea>>!
   Hey muskie that' a great idea too, you must have some very rare BSF eye bolts ;), best I can come up with is Eye nuts on a mixed thread stud (....?/BSF), trouble is I've only found metric series eye nuts(maybe I shop at the wrong places), and I dunno that a imperial/metric combo exists, without custom engineering....... *smile*..... and then yea'd need to maybe bolt bottom end to the floor, if it's really well glued on....and if your little winch doesn't work, I have access to some small heavy lift cranage (or is it 'carnage'), 500T..? *eek*

No worries Bob, the brain cells need a shake up every now and then, they get complacent and lazy, nothin' better than a bit of random shock therapy *conf*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #17 on: 09.12. 2012 18:25 »
That's not a bad idea at all Dutch. How about eye bolts into the head bolt holes and a winch from the rafters. *eek*
Cheers
Why don't you tell everbody what happened when you last used that method Muskrat?........... Better still. I will show them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylinj9Jc9WM
10/10 for effort.... but honestly!!! *doh*
No offence meant Mate, it's not a bad idea at a pinch!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #18 on: 09.12. 2012 18:43 »
 Ah, maybe that's why I now roll out of bed at night. The rafters in the shed are the floor joists for the bedroom. *smile*
Living in the bush for years with no electricity, I had to invent ways of doing lots of things. I built the racer at night with a kero lantern for light. *eek*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 10.12. 2012 09:42 »

Hoo boy, yup I've seen that a few times, I think I worked with someone a while back who was there- bad blue!

Musky, at least I had the luxury of a 2KVa gen-set, Lister powered, 3-1/2 HP single, still got it, but a bit weather beaten, was it a lantern, or an 'Aladdin'- you know the pressure ones with metho starter and then pump it up - that's what I grew up with....till we got a 32 V Southern Cross powered setup, them wuz the daze.. *conf*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 10.12. 2012 10:33 »
Trying to get the rotor nut off a Bantam at the weekend I couldn't get things to lock up sufficiently - clutch seemed to slip. I ended up lobbing a small block of wood in the hole and bolting the head back on. That seemed to do it.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 10.12. 2012 10:58 »

Don't forget to take the wood out, I know it burns, but at a guess I'd say the octane rating is low..but there could be room for a steam boiler- just add water ?
Australia