Author Topic: DVLA Rules  (Read 834 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
DVLA Rules
« on: 13.12. 2012 15:39 »
I bought my 1954 Flash a couple of months ago. It is shown first registered in UK in 1981. Loss of papers probably. I got a dating certificate from BSA Owners Club showing it being delivered from factory to a dealer in Dorsett in Jan 1954, also show all numbers matching factory records. I wrote the DVLA a nice letter asking them to amend their records on the V5 so it shows its real age and is MOT exempt. They ignored my letter and just put the bike in my name, bike registered in 1981 again. They did not even return the dating certificate albeit I sent them the stamps to return it.
Can I do anything else about this issue.

Ta Colin
Merry Xmas

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: DVLA Rules
« Reply #1 on: 13.12. 2012 16:07 »
I had a similar problem and got very frustrated with Swansea, so in the end I went to my local office and although a bit of a que, got it all sorted. It's a shame that they are going to be closed but give it a try you cannot beat talking to someone face to face. Local offices listed
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus/localoffices/findnear/england.aspx
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 13.12. 2012 16:50 »
Colin,

This will have stemmed from when the DVLA went computerised and I'm sure that the following information is reasonably accurate.  

In the late 1970's/early 1980's everybody had to return the old green or buff logbooks to have the data transferred to the then new DVLA computer.  Initially we had about 18 months to do this but there were literally thousands of vehicles in storage and the owners either weren't interested or couldn't be bothered to send the old log books in.  After the deadline and after getting loads of complaints from these owners who didn't comply, the DVLA extended the deadline to about an additional 18 months.  These late ones were actually re-registered on the DVLA computer but a note was added to the new V5 documents that the vehicle was actually manufactured in **** whatever year.

There was an extra problem after the second deadline expired and older vehicles were still coming out of the woodwork.  These were not registered and many of the owners didn't even have one of the older log books.  It was decided that these could be registered by DVLA but would obtain either a "Q" registration number or an "A" number (e.g. ABC 123A) depending on certain circumstances but the owners had to prove the year of manufacture and that they were genuine vehicles.  At this time the "Q" plates were generally issued to imported vehicles and "specials"  such as Tritons, Tribsas Norvins and the likes.

Some time later the rules changed yet again as some owners weren't happy with these "A" numbers and DVLA allowed them to be changed to an age related number, I believe for a fee.  This was when a series of unused Scottish numbers was issued.  These were instantly recognisable because the second letter was an "S" and we saw the likes of HSV 186 or SSK 111.  I think that newly re-registered vehicles are getting local older style registration numbers now.

So check your V5C to see if there is a "Declared date of manufacture" on there somewhere.  It will be in a different place to the date of registration.  Mine is shown in section 3. under "Special Notes".

If there is no mention of it I would suggest that you wrote back to DVLA and ask what the procedure is for this information to be added.  You could also phone them up but if you do, make a note of the time and date and the name of the person you spoke to.

Hope this helps.

Beezageezauk.  

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 13.12. 2012 17:16 »
Colin , "Goldy" is giving You excellent advice ..turn up in person & present Your case ..My Own "Star Twin" currently has an "age related" number but the local D.V.L.A staff were extremely helpful to Me when I visited them recently giving Me good advice how to lodge an appeal to recalim the original number .
Wouldnt have much faith in Swansea personally .

Good luck ,

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #4 on: 14.12. 2012 11:05 »
The DVLA people appeared very helpful when putting my bike back on the road but would not correct the error in the engine number which for some reason starts GA7 in the old buff log book (and thus V5) instead of CA7. Having trouble getting a good rubbing of the frame number to enable a dating certificate as its visible but under multiple layers of stoving. I may go to the local office in the spring, if its still open.
1961 A7 since 1976
1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project
1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 T100

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 14.12. 2012 11:16 »
Hi Colin , my experience backs up the details given by beezageezauk and the local offices ,I probably used the same one in Preston as Stephen and I found them very helpful and really quick ,for instance I received my V5 with correct details ( age related number ) and authority for plates within 5 days of visiting them. So if post and swansea don't help go local, All the best for christmas , BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 14.12. 2012 12:15 »
Thanks for the sound advice. I rang John lloyd at DVLA. He tells me that they did not ignore the BSA dating certificate and it is now declared a 1954 to VOSA. He stated that they should have shown in 1954 on the notes at the front of the log book, they missed it. So I am sending it back and they will update it.

JOB DONE

Colin

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 14.12. 2012 13:25 »
All's well that ends well Colin!!  But it wouldn't harm to photocopy the document before you return it.

Beezageezauk.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 21.12. 2012 15:30 »
Just got the V5 back again, they were nice enough to show first registration in UK 31.12.1954. I thought they would have put it in Section 3.
RESULT : )

Colin