Author Topic: My little knock update  (Read 832 times)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
My little knock update
« on: 19.12. 2012 00:36 »
 I haven't seen Andy's Vibration post for a bit but I hope you're getting something sorted?

This is not about that, but my 'no part number' noise and so to not keep hijacking his topic.

I think I got it sorted,
 Background- as I was priming the oil system by slow kick pedal I detected a barely audible metallic rapping sound in area of Roller main bearing, but which became louder as the oil came through and I kicked harder.
 Did some elimination and pinpointed it as only at ~BDC. Being at change of direction of 'reciprotation', figured it must be something to do with big ends(new rods & bearings) or R.main, so stripped it down again, replaced the roller, and on reassembly, noticed a shiny patch on outer rim of the (new)seal :!

Conclusion- even though I ran a gauge around there and it seemed clear, the outer face of the back of the sprocket against the splined sleeve seemed to have small divot and bumps(or is that a davit), and maybe seal was not sitting fully home square, so at one point each revolution gave the seemingly appropriate 'metallic chink' , which would've eventually gone away, but.....
Cleaned face of sproket on a sheet of w/d on glass, so hoping all should be ok.
 that's the short bugga story..... I think I discovered I need a better crank *eek*

Happy hoho HumBugga season (nicely), and thanks for the prior input

duTch

Oh yeah- I never really thought of it as a Roller bearing noise, as I've always had the impression a shot one of them (generally) produce an audible rumble not a knock..(?)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Re: My little knock update
« Reply #1 on: 19.12. 2012 12:12 »
Well done for sorting yours out. I am doing a wait and see approach. My leaning is towards the gearbox first. Maybe replace the bearings(got a spare shell to get ready) and see what happens from there. The vibration was slightly improved by adjusting the rear chain,but I could be convincing myself it has. I have owned this bike for twenty years and realised I have never replaced the smaller ball bearing on the mainshaft or any bushes could be about due *eek*

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #2 on: 19.12. 2012 12:43 »
BSA500, I think you are on the right track, my box must have been similar age and but for a bad oil leak I would probably left alone ,when I took it down ever bearing was shot particularly the layshaft bushes and the layshaft which needed SRM's attention, they reground shaft and made bushes to suit ,wonderful job but after the tribulations of putting it back together what a difference, changes great but biggest difference was it was so smooth ,well by A10 standards .Just mention this has you are using your bike daily have you got enough bits to check the layshaft in the shell for wear or would it have to be from the box on the bike? just realised I've done a Dutch on you and hijacked dutchs post ,sorry Dutch by way of apology I'll translate your christmas greeting for all forum members ,in the words of Oakes " I could be some time " ............... only joking have a good one Dutch and hope the bikes sorted for 2013 ,Cheers BobH. 
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 20.12. 2012 13:07 »

's Ok Bob, what I miss on the roundabout I get back on the 'Jungle Jim' ...all close to the bone
What's a 'oakes'? is that trees like 'Ents' that I saw in a story somewhere ??

Wasn't a christmas Greeting *conf*, just a Happy HoHumbahBedbug thing -what ever one of them is too -sounds like something out of Uncle McDuck??*smile* *smile*

Have a good'un cheers, duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia