Author Topic: Where do spend my money first  (Read 556 times)

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
Where do spend my money first
« on: 22.12. 2012 08:22 »
The new year will see my rebuild start in ernest, but I have a question for the brains trust.
Do I start on the motor, I'm talking full rebuild.
Or do I start on the frame and tins ?
I am looking at probably 12 month start to finish, fingers crossed. If I finish motor and have it sitting for an extended period, will that be detramental ?
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia

Offline Stephen Foster

• Valued Contributor
Re: Where do spend my money first
« Reply #1 on: 22.12. 2012 08:32 »
If that was Me I would send out the fuel tank for restoration /Chrome plating / enamelling / pressure testing , etc . Wheels for rebuilding & brake surface skimming (if required)
These are the most long-winded & expensive items .

Decide if the frame & bracketry are to be stove enamelled or powder coated .
tinware also would need enamelling , straightening , etc .

The engine , gearbox , magneto & dynamo could be tackled whilst You wait for the above .

Best Wishes,
Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.12. 2012 11:30 »
I agree with Steve

a plan is good just don't get hung up about following it to the letter, there will be waiting times for some stuff
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline cotterpinkid

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 22.12. 2012 11:39 »
For me it's Frame, Rolling Chasis, Tinware, Engine. Depending on what cash I've got determines if I can get some bits done concurrently, but definitely frame first (you need a christmas tree first before you can start hanging your baubles).

Brian
A10 GF Plunger
Velocette Venom

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 22.12. 2012 13:13 »
Steve's right, rolling chassis then engine. While you are waiting for the chromers/painters/stove enamelers/powder coaters to remove their digits from a place the sun never shines you will have plenty of spare time for the motor.
I find nothing more frustrating than knowing everything is ready to bolt together once you get it all back, only to be told to 'ring back in a couple of weeks'. I've just waited 9 weeks for some chroming  for my Bonnie, top job when it came back, but I would not be happy waiting that length of time if I had nothing else to get on with.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.12. 2012 13:31 »

Um Geez, what all the others said, but ensure all the nuts and bolts are right, it's often the most 'insignificant' bits that can stuff you the most..
 I pulled mine apart 2-1/2 years ago for what I though would be a clean-up and throw back together, but have realized recurringly(?), that I have to do 'this' before I find out if 'that'or 'them' is gunna fit or not *conf*
  Just poke away and keep evertyhing somewhere you can find it (HDIK)
 Cheers and good luck.duTch
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 22.12. 2012 14:02 »
Good advice Dutch....... If you watch a pro do it, they build the bike first to make sure everything is as it should be, then strip and chrome/paint/stove. After that it is a fairly straight forward job to re-assemble. I've never got to that level, every build has its own "Oh Sh*t!" moment(s) with me.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 22.12. 2012 14:12 »
every build has its own "Oh Sh*t!" moment(s) with me.

nice to know I'm not the only one  ;)

Also helps (when grey cells become endangered species ) to keep small bits from any one bit of the machine together, little mites like washers might look the same but are not as universal as you may think

All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline pato08

• A's Best Friend
  • A Work In Progress
« Reply #8 on: 22.12. 2012 22:49 »
Fantastic replies, the tank looks good, but as Steve surgests it may need more work than meets the eye, so I will start there, all the tins need to be stripped for repair, so Iwill make that job two.
I have found a very good engineer to assist with the motor, and am changing the timing side bush for a roller bearing, the rest will stay as per manufacture.
The original colour is "Gold" so she will stay that way. I have a couple of mate here that are spray painters and pannel beaters.

You are dead right Dutch, Nut and bots will be an issue as i bought the bike as a basket case (old wood crate) as per my avitar, but do have a list courtesy of this forum,
thats all 192 (that's not counting the double ups) nuts bolt and washers.
Photos and trials/tribulations to follow

Pato   
1957 Plunger, one of the very rare collector's items ;-)
Australia