Author Topic: SORN  (Read 971 times)

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
SORN
« on: 24.12. 2012 10:29 »
Don't know if any one else in the uk has noticed but the Government have changed the requirement for SORN         (statuatory off road notification). It not longer has to be renewed annually, and will now remain so until the DVLA are notified otherwise. How sensible.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
Re: SORN
« Reply #1 on: 24.12. 2012 10:56 »
That's news to me Goldie. If it sounds too good to be true  etc etc.
Where can we find the details?
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline alanp

• Plymouth, Devon
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 25.12. 2012 13:40 »
Thanks, that's great!
Member of the 'Last of the Summer Wine Club - Jennycliff'.

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 31.08. 2013 16:10 »
Is this definite? I never get the reminders as no post is ever forwarded from my UK address. Last time I was in UK I had to pay a fine for failing to notify.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 31.08. 2013 16:14 »
Just received my Sorn reminder about a week ago ???
did it online, there was also an option to tax it provided you had an MOT (61 Flash needing a paint job)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Derby Rob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #6 on: 31.08. 2013 16:35 »
hi,just looked on gov web site ,and a far as i can see you must renew every year.but i stand to be corrected,

rob
61 BSA A7,yamaha rd500 ,suzuki ts250er,suzuki x7,1958 francis barnett cruiser 80

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 31.08. 2013 18:21 »
Looks like reading this thread is going to cost me a lot of money! I still have 4 UK registered vehicles including the BSA and the SORN had expired on 3 of them. I have done them online just now. *sad2*

Offline sparx

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #8 on: 01.09. 2013 05:57 »
The words to note on that site are "is to be" and "cut red tape".
  They don't appear to have done the former and the latter usually just involves rearranging the deck-chairs.
I've had my A10 on SORN for this last year and received the standard "tax it or declare SORN" letter a few weeks ago so it would appear there is no change to the regulations at this time.
  With the changes to the MOT legislation for historic vehicles (no longer required for pre-1960 vehicles) and a requirement for continual insurance even if the bike is in cardboard boxes waiting for a rebuild SORN has become a little redundant for MOT exempt (historic) vehicles. It costs nothing to either SORN or "tax" so you may as well get an excise licence.
Dave
Peterborough (UK)

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 01.09. 2013 07:25 »
I didn't know I also had to insure them! I knew they were talking about that at one time but had not heard that it has been introduced. If that is the case I will have to scrap my 1976 Toyota Hiace camper and 2004 Vauxhall Combo van. I might be able to insure the BSA and get the LDV registered on Hungarian plates.

Offline sparx

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #10 on: 01.09. 2013 10:17 »
After a quick check on the DVLA web site regarding continual insurance....... if the vehicle is declared SORN there is no need for insurance.
  Obviously they brought that particular piece of legislation out to catch out bods who tax a vehicle on a cover note and then let the insurance lapse.

Dave
Peterborough (UK)