Author Topic: How much slack between frame is required on S/A fuel tank please ?  (Read 852 times)

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Having just fitted new anti-roll rubbers & rubber matting around the frame of the above I find the fuel tank to be a tight fit without much swivel .
Do forum members think this acceptable ?

The tank does not touch metal anywhere & sits snuggly into place .

Regards,
Steve ....
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Yes Steve that is correct.  It should be quite a snug fit.  I put a smeer of WD40 on the anti-roll rubbers to help ease my fuel tank into place.

Also, instead of using the rubber matting I buy the rubber bridges used on A50 & A65 models and reshape them before fitting them under the front and rear of the A10 tank.  At first it took a bit of time to get them to shape but then I made templates and the job has been made much easier now.  I know that the rivet counters would criticise me for doing this but I reckon that if the rubber shaping technology (I'm sure that our American cousins will excuse this phrase) was available 10 years earlier BSA would have used these bridges on the pre-unit s/a models as standard.

Beezageezauk.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
I buy the rubber bridges used on A50 & A65 models and reshape them

I use those too Beezageezauk.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Stephen Foster

• Resident Legend
Appreciate that advice "Beezageezauk" , next time I remove the tank  (tappet adjustment & head torquing) I will fit a pair of these ..think "Lightning Spares" ought to carry them ?

Wonder if theses can be modelled to fit the plunger frame also ?

Steve ..
I own a 1955/56 B.S.A Swinging Arm "Golden Flash" , had it since 1976 .

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
I don't suppose you need them on a plunger as the tank is bolted on.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
 G'day Steve,
                  I wouldn't think they would be needed on a plunger. Rear is solidly mounted and the front has a rubber (similar to a s/a silentblock) isolated through bolt. But I suppose any extra support is good. Mine hasn't suffered any cracks (dings don't count  *smile*) in 30 years of abuse.
I also use those rubbers under the fiberglass tank on the cafe and the '57 tank on the '64 A65.
Cheers
Just as I finished I saw fido's post.
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7