Author Topic: Lateral Thinking?  (Read 897 times)

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Lateral Thinking?
« on: 08.01. 2013 22:06 »
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: Lateral Thinking?
« Reply #1 on: 08.01. 2013 22:29 »
Why didn't I think of that when my dynamo gave up?........... *yeah*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 09.01. 2013 01:13 »
Or try this Morris! A mate of mine was up in Scotland when his dynamo packed up, desperate to get home he bought a bicycle dynamo 6V, the type that rub on the tyre! It just about worked well enough to fire his ignition (Points and coils) to get him within 40 miles of home, all be it at a very slow speed for a motorbike, but fast for a bicycle. As darkness started to descend he knew lights were not an option so he picked his pace up a bit and siezed it up! Sadly he didn't notice untill it had shredded the sidewall, and his tyre burst, leaving him stranded.
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 09.01. 2013 07:29 »
Wonder if it could be made with the dynamo still working and the belt driving a BLOWER ? *work*
OK back to my corner.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online unclerob

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #4 on: 09.01. 2013 10:05 »
That must be the reason he fitted extended forks then...alternator clearance! I had an a10 years ago where the dynamo had been modified to fit a Lucas alternator on the end, it actually looked ok and as far as I can remember no charging issues...

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 09.01. 2013 11:17 »
This got me looking at the other BSAs on Ebay, I've never seen so many!  I hope this does not mean everyone has lost interest in old bikes. I think not though, judging by the bidding on the Rocket 3s.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 09.01. 2013 22:03 »
desperate to get home he bought a bicycle dynamo 6V As darkness started to descend he knew lights were not an option
Great idea! Added 4 bicycle dynamos to my emergency kit. Connected in series they should produce enough power to run with the lights on if the dynamo fails!

Wonder if it could be made with the dynamo still working and the belt driving a BLOWER ?
Maybe coincidence, or is it that we all are the same nutters, but a couple of nights ago, having trouble falling asleep, I was thinking of ways to drive a blower from the dynamo drive chain........?

On a more serious note Musky (and also to all of our other Australian friends), I hope you are not to bothered by the fires over there. We are seeing some real horror images on the news here. Really frightening!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #7 on: 10.01. 2013 11:49 »
 G'day mf11, thanks for the thought. I think Brian might have been close on Monday, don't think we have any two headed members from Tassie, I copped it Tuesday with the fire a few miles away and highway cut. Bikes were ready to be thrown in the trailer. The Lithgow fires came to about 100yards of a mates place I was at on xmas day. The Cooma fire might smolder for months unless good rain comes. Don't want a normally welcome NE'er, it would push the fire back towards me, and another scorcher due Fri/Sat.
Was only a few weeks ago we saw the floods over there. It must be Mother nature cause if it was Father nature we'd be able to ride our bikes every day and a little rain at night to wash the roads. *idea*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.01. 2013 12:59 »

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #9 on: 10.01. 2013 21:37 »
It must be Mother nature cause if it was Father nature we'd be able to ride our bikes every day and a little rain at night to wash the roads. *idea*
Cheers

I heard that's what the weather's like in Bikeland (capital Bikertown, 2nd largest city New Birmingham, where there's a factory that acquired all the original BSA tooling and still produces BSA's with it)....
One month a year though there's all day rain, a time you'll find local folks in the shed fettling bikes while sipping large cups of tea.......

'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium