Author Topic: Re-regisration and claiming the original number  (Read 1168 times)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
  • HOW IT ARRIVED ON DAY ONE
Hi, here goes a (little problem I would like to sort before I spend more money on it)

Problem 1 I live in Spain, the bike a 553 650 plunger in parts is with me and this year I am going to put it back together.

What I am after is advise about its reg and docs..

Prob 2. I have the original buff log book however, have noticed that the engine and frame number are listed the wrong way around.and

have also just established that the engine is not the listed one it actually left the factory in 1952?

Prob 3.  I do have an address I can use in the UK but obviously nobody could inspect the bike prior to my return with it for its MOT

If I do register it would I then need to sorn it?

Prob 4. The bike was originally fitted with a side car but when I put it back together it wont be.

Somebody old me that if I join the BSA owners club they could do it for me, but what about the above!!!

I will await with eager anticipation!!

Offline saltbox Alf

• Moving Up
Re: Re-regisration and claiming the original number
« Reply #1 on: 15.01. 2013 23:15 »
Are you thinking of registering it in Spain or do you want to register in uk?
I have 2 moto de collection in France and the most important thing was to have the frame number on some form of registration document from the country of origin, it is complcated in spain with visits to traffic etc but you can more or less import it with the buff book and proof of ownership and a dating certificate from owners club. I can find out more for spain if you need, as a relative is in the Mossos de esquadra and knows the procedure.
I am only online at weekends so may not pick up your thread till next weekend.
I have just been looking at a very good website with relevent info for a historic vehicle in spain, verdict being either lots of money about Euros 1,000, or just give up the idea!!
http://www.spainvia.com/historicvehicles.htm
Now I know why there are not so many historic bikes about in Spain
I like bike, especially my 61'SR

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 16.01. 2013 10:48 »
If you're asking about registering it in the UK, I did a similar exercise with an NSU Quickly about 3 years ago which I bought as a barn find. I didn't have the log book but did have a couple of old tax discs.

I had the pile of rusty bits examined by a VMCC inspector (I am a member) who certified its age and correctness and then applied to DVLA with this evidence. That got me a V5 with the original number and taxation class "Not Licensed". You may however have a problem with the incorrect frame number......

I've recently taxed it (after restoration, although TBH it could still be a pile of bits as far as anyone knows - MoT no longer necessary - same with your bike) at the local DVLA office and now have the V5C with new taxation class "Historic Vehicle". There was no need to MoT it in any of this process and it all went quite smoothly. Of course things may have changed......

The sidecar is irrelevant.

If however you're asking about registering in Spain, I'm afraif I have no idea.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 16.01. 2013 15:54 »
To saltbox, thanks for the info yes well aware of the Registration chaos in Spain I have three other bikes and two cars on Span Reg. To cut a long story short I want it on English reg as I am giving it to my nephew for his 18th birthday present.   

To Iansoady, thanks for the info, that sounds more promising.. ref the numbers its the engine number that is wrong not the frame.
How do I go ahead with this do I email VMCC? or do I invite you over to spain for an inspection.......

I did not think it would be possible to put a vehicle on the road without an MOT!

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2013 17:02 »
To saltbox, thanks for the info yes well aware of the Registration chaos in Spain I have three other bikes and two cars on Span Reg. To cut a long story short I want it on English reg as I am giving it to my nephew for his 18th birthday present.    

To Iansoady, thanks for the info, that sounds more promising.. ref the numbers its the engine number that is wrong not the frame.
How do I go ahead with this do I email VMCC? or do I invite you over to spain for an inspection.......

I did not think it would be possible to put a vehicle on the road without an MOT!

I'd be happy to come & do it but sadly I'm not an authorised VMCC inspector........

I suspect it would have to be in the UK to get it done.

ps MoT not now necessary for pre-1960 vehicles (even when as mine they have never been tested).
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 17.01. 2013 20:00 »
Ah well that throws it up in the air again, ......

I was hoping to get at least the docs sorted out, its costing me a fortune in parts alone and I have not started the spraying or assembly yet...would not be happy if down the line I could not register it. I thought that I would be bringing it back once assembled with the docs in my hand for its MOT. But maybe now I will have to rethink it all.

Thanks again for your time

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 17.01. 2013 21:05 »
Hi Bikemad,

The fact that the frame and engine number do not match is not important. the only thing that counts is the frame number
Mine is the same. Engine and frame did not leave the factory together, but registering was based on the frame number.

As well as in the UK or in Spain, or in my case Belgium, European rules apply when registering and/or importing a vehicle.
Mine was imported from the UK 3 or 4 years ago, but the PO never got round registering it, but still had the original UK V5 document.
When I bought it I had to go to customs to officially import it. Based on the existing V5, customs gave me the document to get it licensed in Belgium.
Easy as that.....!

I am not sure but it might be easier for you to import (if the papers that came with the frame are of UK origin) and register it in Spain, and after that re-import it in the UK.
Also a lot depends on the time when it became necessary to have a vehicle's declaration of conformity. This differs from country to country.
In Belgium it became necessary for motorbikes in 1972, so any bike produced/registered before that date don't need this document to get it registered again.

Good luck!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 18.01. 2013 08:35 »
Hi again Mo, good advice cheers, I think to be honest I will set about putting it together as planned and during the process I will chat with the Spanish classic bike guys and seek advice from them as per the registration. Nothing is ever easy is it!!

All the best

Offline steve.link

• Active
« Reply #8 on: 31.03. 2013 14:21 »
The BSA Owners Club will provide a dating certificate from the factory records - costs £10 I belive. The DVLA will accept this and issue an age related plate. They may wish to inspect the vehicle.

Have a look on this link:

http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/Register_Date.html

Good Luck