Author Topic: kicked back  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
kicked back
« on: 16.01. 2013 20:31 »
hello everyone i am going to start my bike for the fist time tomorrow after a rebuild and  with your help with quite a few things, im fitting the mag and timing it using the haynes book *eek* , the thing that bothers me is getting recoil , has any one been kicked back on a a10 , i had a bad one a couple of years ago off a b40 and im still feeling the effects *eek*   tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
Re: kicked back
« Reply #1 on: 16.01. 2013 21:49 »
Not sure what Haynes say, but the correct figures are, aluminium head, 35 degrees btdc (5/16") and iron head 33 degrees (9/32") btdc with the timing set at fully advanced. It may be different in an old Haynes manual, but these figures are correct. If the bike is set up correctly then kicking back should not be a problem with an A10............ Oh! and good luck tomorrow! wink2
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.01. 2013 21:53 »
If you retard it for starting, or have auto advance, should be ok.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 16.01. 2013 22:20 »
With a good working system I think it should be very difficult to get any kickback.

If your settings are correct at full advance (setting the initial timing) and it still tries to harm you, the retard (manual or automatic) is not working properly \ not retarding enough.

Or maybe the mag slipped a little when tightening up the nut.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Seabee

• A's Good Friend
  • 1957 Road Rocket
« Reply #4 on: 17.01. 2013 12:37 »
Remember to kick ALL the way through the stroke and you'll be fine!
1961 Super Rocket
1957 Road Rocket
2009 Harley Electra Glide Classic
1993 Harley Springer Softtail
1971 Harley Shovelhead
1970 Harley Sportster Chopper
1957 Harley Panhead Chopper
1982 Yamaha XT550
2001 KTM EXC 400
1970 Honda CT70
Southern Illinois, USA

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 17.01. 2013 13:20 »
I agree, never kick one over without it being a considered action , Clear the clutch , prime the the carb , turn the engine over to a position comfortable for you to be over the kickstarter and as seabee say's kick all the way through the stroke ,wear your boots and not soft soled shoes for protection,have to say that correctly set up A's are mild mannered beasts . Please excuse this aside of topic but Re the manual advance lever mentioned, I used to stop our junior sales guys messing with the" goldies "and Velo's in the showroom by always leaving the advance and retard fully advanced ,combination of to much advance and a halfhearted kick need to be seen to be believed,thankfully they only did it once and never lost more than one foot!! I must have been a wicked sod then but it was funny at the time ,best of luck today, BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #6 on: 17.01. 2013 23:51 »
Since ripping off the right foot I have had to learn to kick left footed.
This had made a massive difference to my riding.
Every bike has been a lot easier to start.
Firstly I stand on the ground so all my weight is on the right foot.
This means that the kicking is done with my leg muscles, not my weight assisted by gravity.
Bcause of this it is easier to hold the pedal at the END of it's stroke, not the BOTTOM of the stroke.
AFSAIK all BSA's end their stroke slightly foreward, so when you jump on to the pedal, it goes to the end of the stroke then drops back to the bottom , then launches you into a low earth orbit.
Further more when right foot kicking you temd to roll your right hand as you go down.
This tends to open the throttle which enhances the chances of a kick back
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Tumbleweed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 19.01. 2013 08:48 »
thanks for your advice everybody even wicked old sod topdad , i dont think i can mange a left foot kick it ,is automatic advance , any way i got a pair of old pit boots from the back of the shed and had a go , 3rd kick and it burst into life a very pleasurable moment for me , it didnt run properly but at least it is running with no knocks, ive got the carb in bits now for a checkover i had to give it a sniff of "starter" but it did run so now i can carry on with the rest , wiring, tank,lights etc i will try and get some pics you have seen  it how i got it on my avatar  thanks again everyone   *smiley4*   tw
Semper in excretia sumus solum profundum veriat.

Offline mayes

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 25.03. 2013 18:57 »
a kick back for a A10 is not bad wear good boots not trainers etc. If you are that worried I run Judo class;s and teach you to fall without hurting .John
bike running in rider running out
Tri 500 5Ta
B.S.A A10 1955 Under restoration