Author Topic: ‘57 Plunger Chaincase oil capacity.  (Read 570 times)

Offline Steveba10

• Moving Up
‘57 Plunger Chaincase oil capacity.
« on: 19.01. 2021 20:09 »
Hi,
Having assembled the engine on my ‘57 plunger with new seals and hoping there will be no leaks it’s time to add oil.

I have the plunger six spring clutch and have built it up dry with new plates and fitted the domed cover and gasket.
I think it must be important to add the right amount of oil to the chaincase, enough to lubricate the new primary chain and shock absorber but not so much as to flood the clutch.

Armed with a calibrated 100cc syringe I then tried to find out how much oil is required, I first looked in my Haynes manual page 10 and here is where my confusion starts.

At the top of the page is states Recommended Lubricants Chaincase 1/6 pint (95cc) Castro’s GTX 9(20/50)
At the bottom, it states Routine Maintenance and Capacities, Chaincase 8 fl oz (213cc) post ‘52 models. SAE 20.
No explanation for the discrepancy.
Section 32-17 states fill Chaincase with SAE 40 with level plug removed. This may be swinging arm models, but three different grades of oil cited so far.
Also Haynes conversion pints to floz to cc’s is way off, i.e. 4floz = 100cc and then immediately below 5.5floz = 213cc for example!

I then look at my service sheet No208 and it states that one screw serves as an oil level plug and another for level and maybe use a slightly lower screw hole for a lower level.
The only diagram I can find is Haynes, page 8, A is the drain plug and I guess B is the level plug ( for ‘48-‘59 models). Presumably the one in the middle is the lower level option. But looking at it both options appear to be lower than the bottom run of the chain.

I’ve searched the forum but have found a lot of differing views but little consensus.
Can anyone tell me the best practice maybe for my dry six spring plunger clutched Chaincase please.
Thank you,
Steve.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Re: ‘57 Plunger Chaincase oil capacity.
« Reply #1 on: 21.01. 2021 15:53 »
The original manual says 4 fl.oz (100cc) for plunger models.
SAE 40 may be a bit thickish. I use SAE 10 and tend to underfill by 5 to 10 cc.
With 90-95 cc the chain is always wet after a ride so should be enough.
The 8 fl.oz (225cc) from the manual is for the swingarm model. But there I fill only 190 cc which still wets the chain.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #2 on: 22.01. 2021 08:16 »
Pull off the cover
One of the bosses that the bolts go through will have a bit cut away for the oil to drain through when it gets to the correct level.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline Steveba10

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 23.01. 2021 17:22 »
Thank you Trevor and Morris,
It’s clearer now, I’ve added a note to my check list for when I run it up for the first time, ‘check the primary chain becomes wet.’
Thanks again,
Steve.