Author Topic: A10 Cam Followers wanted  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
A10 Cam Followers wanted
« on: 17.01. 2013 18:49 »
Hi guys!
I bought some pattern A10 Cam followers from evilbay but the inlet followers were +5 'thou too big in diameter. I remonstrated but was informed they were the last set in the world and I could return them if I wanted etc.
To cut a long story short I decided to keep them and took them to a machine shop to have the 5 thou' removed. Well, they B%&*#ed them up big time! The appologies were profuse and they tried to replace them without sucess, but they did say that they were happy to recondition the old ones..... Ah, the old ones.... now where the hell did I put them? Oh yeah, I threw them out! *sad2* (wot a dipstick!) I NEVER throw anything out! (until now!!!)

Anybody got and old knackered A10 cam followers that I can reclaim (re-face/re-nitride)? Happy to pay?

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 Cam Followers wanted
« Reply #1 on: 17.01. 2013 19:33 »
Didn't think they were that rare to be honest but see Draganfly are out of stock, Lyfords list them but pricey, worth ringing around  other well known dealers, also watch Ebay they come up now and then.
Do a Google for A10 Cam followers surprising what comes up at times, old ones can be reground just means a bit of adjustment lost on the tappet, no biggie
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #2 on: 17.01. 2013 19:39 »
I've just given some away but they were for the long stroke motor. I wonder if Andy has any?

http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php/topic,6571.0.html
Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #3 on: 18.01. 2013 07:37 »
I have a worn set you can have if you want? Send me a PM if still in need, yours for the post from France.
Got my new set from British Only Austria, but it was their last set at the time (about 3 months back). Not sure if they've got more yet. Also, one was a thou oversize and had to be fitted, tediously and slowly. I assume you've tried all the usual suspects? Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #4 on: 18.01. 2013 10:33 »
Oh you little angel you! I could kiss you!  *eek* ...Whaaaaat? He lives in France! Blokes kiss each other all the time there!  *smile* I'll PM you mate.

as it needs to be.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 18.01. 2013 13:26 »
Un plaisir, mon petit chérubin! Got your name on already!
Bill

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 18.01. 2013 13:45 »
Vous êtes très gentil Monsieur, Merci beaucoup. Combien je vous dois?  *smile*

as it needs to be.

Offline wilko

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 18.01. 2013 21:55 »
Otway idway  ouyah asay?

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 19.01. 2013 15:14 »
Hetup Motoanimal.

If Groily's cam followers are worn too much I can get them built up and refaced.  The last set I had done worked out at £10 each but that was over a year ago.  They might be a little bit more now.  Anyway, give me a shout if I can help!!

Beezageezauk.

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 23.01. 2013 17:05 »
Hetup Motoanimal.

If Groily's cam followers are worn too much I can get them built up and refaced.  The last set I had done worked out at £10 each but that was over a year ago.  They might be a little bit more now.  Anyway, give me a shout if I can help!!

Beezageezauk.

Thanks for that, Beezageezauk. I am expecting my machine shop to do that for nothing, seeing as how they b@#*ed them up in the first place!

Just so you guys know, Bill AKA ?groily? has posted me a second-hand set of cam followers at his own expense all the way from France! Furthermore he has refused any payment or even the refund of the postage. What a top bloke! Sorry if I have made you blush Bill, but ?credit where it?s due? and I do owe you a beer or two next time I get over. Appreciated! *smile*

as it needs to be.

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 23.01. 2013 21:24 »
And we'll have that beer Phil, no doubt about it, when you're next over. Long time since I've blushed; last time  . . . no, not going there! But seriously, there be kind folk on this forum who have saved me a fortune, found me bits and educated me on loads of things to do with my A (and my much-loved B, and a lot of other stuff come to that) over the years - so it's a pleasure just now and again to be able to reciprocate. It's a good corner of cyber-space. Cheers, Bill
Bill

Offline KeithJ

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 11.02. 2013 22:42 »
Hi, as a newby to this forum, I'd appreciate any comments regarding how beneficial it is to have stelited followers?  I am in the process of rebuilding an engine for my '59RR, owned by me for over 40 years, but not sure if it is worth the expense?  Had a quote to get a set of "standard" ones re-profiled and hardened but it was a substantial percentage of the cost of a new set.  So having seen the posts am thinking of Stelited ones.  ATB  Keith
'59 A10RR + Second engine

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 20.02. 2013 06:05 »
Keith, I'm not sure if you have tried to purchase any A10 cam followers lately, but you may find that you are governed by what is availabile. I have been told that the company that used to make them in England have stated that they are no longer longer interested in doing so, and frankly, judging by my experiences that's no bad thing!  *smile* I could not find any to buy, hence my original post here. (Thanks again Bill!)

I would be carefull about how hard they are as traditionally I think followers tend to be of slightly softer material than the cam? (someone with greater knowledge than me will be able to comment) for the simple reason that followers are easier/cheaper to replace than the cam? I may be talking b*#$cks, but the fact remains that A10 cams and followers don't seem to last well.

Would some kind of phosphate treatment be better to retail oil on the surfaces, as I think that 'oil shear' is probably the main issue rather than the hardness of the surfaces (although that must play a part)?

as it needs to be.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 20.02. 2013 10:32 »
sad to hear of any firm not producing stuff we would like to own, we have created quite an industry due to our need to restore old bikes to perfection and beyond, much of this not at all necessary.
(the following may get me shot down in flames but if it brings about a bit of useful converse then well and good)

Cams and Cam followers
Apart from those of us who race classic bikes and those of us who are interested in the technical aspect of engine performance ( all of whom I admire ) worn cams and followers are not going to make a great deal of difference to the running of the engine, sure you might need to adjust the tappets to take up the wear, I put a reconditioned set of followers in my Flash one of the inlet ones had been ground down more then the other, just means that tappet has a bit more thread showing, the camshaft could be argued to be more important as wear on it will affect the amount of valve lift but I doubt enough to be a problem for the vast majority of us and there is the option of taking a  bit of metal off the side opposite the cam to return the amount of travel although frowned upon by many ( always had difficulty getting my head around this one but I think that's how it works)
So basically for the most of us that ride for a toodle and the odd blast we are apt replace stuff that is not at all needed (but we all do it)
Comments welcomed *fight*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Motoanimal

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #14 on: 20.02. 2013 17:31 »
Point taken Bill, perhaps we are all a bit too fussy, and I am probably one of the worst offenders, I won't even re-use bolts that have lost their zinc plating! (anally retentive! *smile*)

It should be possibile to satisfactorily re-face followers and re-profile cams albeit at some expense, so I don't think there is any immediate cause for alarm, besides I'm sure some enterprising machine shop will manufacture followers if there is money to be made from us poor saddos who insist on perfection!

I'm probably the wrong person to talk to about 'making do' it's my strange mental condition, don't you know..... :P

as it needs to be.