Author Topic: High tech low tech  (Read 771 times)

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
High tech low tech
« on: 18.01. 2013 20:17 »
On occasion my A7ss fires up on one cylinder then after a few seconds the second cylinder cuts in and all is fine. Mag was rebuilt and suspect sub standard plugs. As all is well after a few seconds so I  am not too bothered. Normally to find out which cylinder is not firing a quick dab of the hand on the down pipe reveals the offending cylinder or if not quick enough a burned hand! On multi cylinder motors a dab of cold water from a brush shows the duff cylinder as the water soon evaporates or boils on the good cylinders. However I am sure there are some high tech solutions but for me my Ipad with the thermal camera does the trick, it's instant and no burned fingers!

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: High tech low tech
« Reply #1 on: 18.01. 2013 20:23 »
Can't you tell by which exhaust is making the noise?

Offline Desburnett

• A's Good Friend
  • BSA A7 SS, Fazer 1000, Norton Commando 850
« Reply #2 on: 18.01. 2013 21:52 »
In the three or four seconds its trickey to hear which pipe is off, it's easy to do by hand but fiddling about with the ipad didn't realise there was a built in thermal camera which could come in handy. Ie it's a solution for a problem I don't know I have!

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.01. 2013 10:31 »
I have one of these: http://www.maplin.co.uk/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-223005 which is really useful but it's hidden itself somewhere in the shed!
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.01. 2013 11:14 »
Don't go mad trying to fix it. After all, it does start.

Maybe just one plug slightly fouled by rich idle mixture.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.01. 2013 11:15 »
My multi meter packed up, I replaced it with one that has a temp probe, well probe as in a wire with a bare soldered end.
It wasn't an expensive meter at all, the accuracy of the temp probe is not something I've tested (thinking just dip it in a boiling kettle should work) but it really matters not if you're just comparing one heat source to another.

The heat imaging app is something I'll look into, I see it's available for Android so I'll get it on my phone and play with it, a quick google shows a site that states it does not "read" heat, presumably that means it does not give temp readings but shows differences in temps which once again is fine, my tablet is in Czech Rebulic getting repaired so can't use that, damn new technology eh not much chance of fixing anything these days with a bungie strap and gaffer tape
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco