Author Topic: vin stamping  (Read 3351 times)

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
vin stamping
« on: 29.01. 2013 12:25 »
Hi folks,
         I've just gone through inspection at wimbledon dvla,who finally have issued me with a new frame number 16 digits,does anyone know of anyone who would stamp this new number on my frame? I am in staines nr heathrow.  The bike is alll up and running and i don't want to break it all down as one firm i've asked requested. Everyone i've asked looks at me as if i've just asked the million dollar question is this such a rarity?

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
Re: vin stamping
« Reply #1 on: 29.01. 2013 13:09 »
Buy a set of stamps and do it yourself.  Decide the size you require then buy from  engineering supplier or ebay such as these :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36pc-5mm-LETTER-NUMBER-PUNCH-Alphabet-Steel-Stamping-Set-New-Boxed-/390396310782?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ae56ef4fe&_uhb=1

You will then need a hammer and a bit of practice on some spare metal.  Not hard at all.  you can borrow mine, I live near the Dartford crossing, if you go to lakeside Ill meet you there.

Try Gabfesters site  http://www.gabfesters.org.uk/      Friendly lot based near you meet each thursday evening at  "The Crown" Harmondworth Village,(just off the A4 next to Heathrow)8pm  http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=505754&y=177729&z=0&sv=ub7+0aj&st=2&pc=ub7+0aj&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf  go along and have a chat, I am sure they will help you.  Dave

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 29.01. 2013 16:31 »
I don't know how BSA did it because they got the numbers quite deep and you will not get the same depth. The normal position is on the frame headstock tube and you will not be able to stamp onto the radius of the tube. You will have to grind a small flat on the out side of the tube to stand a chance of getting a full digit. You will need to hit the stamp very hard and may have to do it a number of times, just make sure that you locate the stamp correctly into the digit on subsequent strikes. Another option would be to stamp the number onto a strip of steel plate and tack weld it onto the tube.
All the best with it.
Goldy
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 29.01. 2013 19:37 »
A fellow in Switzerland sells VIN plates on ebay. Does ones for all makes. I put one on my A65, just engraved the #'s on with my dremel. Two tiny holes for the supplied rivets. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BSA-A50-A65-A75-Spitfire-Victor-Rocket-3-Firebird-Lighting-Gold-Star-Data-plate-/130841846787?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e76c82403
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 30.01. 2013 16:39 »
As Goldy says - it's a real b of a job. Separate plate sounds the way to go.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 30.01. 2013 16:45 »
not much help to you with a bike built up, but anyone got a frame stripped then probably heat to cherry red then stamp (leather gloves required).
Would think BSA would use a press although spare frames were left to the dealer to stamp it seems
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline warmshed

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 30.01. 2013 17:51 »
If your going the plate way, just cut one yourself and stamp/etch it, no need to pay £20 for one.  Or try these people http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/motorcycle_plates.html

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 30.01. 2013 18:23 »
I am sure if you go to your local engineering steel stockholder, engineering or fabricating company they will give you a bit of mild steel strip 3/8 x 1/8 inch 3 or 4 inches long and they may even stamp it for you. Don't be afraid to go to these companies I have found many of them to be very helpful.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline tenko

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 30.01. 2013 22:40 »
Hey Folks,
            Thanks for all of your replies/suggestions, i have gone the "make a plate" way , i tried several well known motorcycle dealers, who basically couldn't give a stuff. Obviously not enough profit for them to bother. A local engineering firm couldn't have been more helpful they are going to engrave a mild steel plate that i will get tigged to the headstock.

Cheeeers.

Offline BSARoadRocket

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 14.07. 2014 02:10 »
Stamping numbers is not hard at all.  Just make sure you have nice sharp and hard high quality stamps and if you want the number deep just do a nice hard hit with a big hammer.  No need at all to heat the metal up.  Practice practice practice on some mild steel scraps so you know you can get a satisfactory result before stamping anything that matters as it takes practice.  Stamping and attaching a separate plate sounds like the hard way of doing it.  Presently I'm working for an automotive engine re-builder and every engine that is rebuilt gets the invoice number stamped into the block, crank, first main cap, and heads so the engine can be identified should a warranty issue come up.

At least in my part of the world a separate custom plate with the VIN on it would raise a big red flag in the eyes of a law enforcement official if by some rare chance you had to get your bike inspected and encountered an official that knew anything about what the VIN numbers originally looked like on a 50+ year old motorcycle.
'47A7, '50GF, '53SF,  '55RR, '57GF, '58A7daily rider '60GSCatalina
'39T100, '506T '56TR6, '62TR6SS '49NortonDominator,
'73HD sportster.  Most are works in progress with much progress yet to be made!

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 14.07. 2014 08:22 »
 The factory VIN plate that came with my Gutzzi was unattached for some reason (imported s/h from USof), so I stuck it on with silicone- after a couple of years, pulled it off to redo the frame and stuck it back on same way, still there 18 years later.
 It's basically just a piece of thin ally, so surely you could do the same, with a similar layout to contemporary design, or whatever takes your fancy.

Wouldn't worry 'bout the Trappers- with their resources, they should be able to work it out...?
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #11 on: 14.07. 2014 10:19 »
This is what I put on mine.
http://www.khneisser.ch/products/34/detail/bsa
It's easier than trying to read the frame number with 10 coats of paint over it  *smile*.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 14.07. 2014 15:59 »
I stamped mine and it was 'kin 'ard. As in requiring multiple blows even with a 5lb club. And it's all very tense trying to line up oh so perfectly each time.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza