Author Topic: A7SS Chaincase oil level  (Read 2890 times)

Offline ianselva

• Moving Up
A7SS Chaincase oil level
« on: 06.02. 2013 13:16 »
Hi,
I've recently bought a 56 A7SS a bike i've lusted after since they came out when I was a teenager.( yes I am that old !)
 I'm now trying to sort it out . I had to renew the clutch plates and when I come to replace the primary chaincase ,I find The Haynes Book gives contradicting amounts on the same page 95cc and 225cc for the oil.and I have the early type with no level plug.
I did a query and only found the same question with no answers.
So can anyone tell me the right amount of oil ?

Cheers

Ian

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7SS Chaincase oil level
« Reply #1 on: 06.02. 2013 13:51 »
previous to the level plug the correct level was found by taking out one of the bottom screws, not having an early one myself I can't recall which one it is, however go here for a look http://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=4210.0.

and then examine yours
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #2 on: 06.02. 2013 14:03 »
Ian, 
according to the A7/A10 instruction manual the primary chain case oil level should be 225 cc (8 fluid ozs)
The oil level on the early chain cases is determined as shown in fig1 below, and the oil level for the later chain cases is determined as shown in fig2. By the way I always use automatic transmission fluid in my primary chain case. Because of its colour (red) it makesit easy to decide wether any oil drips are coming from the primary drive case or from some where else.

John

Offline ianselva

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 06.02. 2013 14:27 »
Thanks a lot , couldn't ask for a quicker response.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 06.02. 2013 16:05 »
Ian , sorry if this reply is late but work will interfere ! Just incase yours is the same case as mine being neither of those shown ,turn your case over and you'll see one of the bottom screws (towards the clutch ) is open you can see the screw whilst the others are in ally , thats the level that Bill mentioned  although if the primary chain has been loose that can carve into all of them . Hope you're sorted regards BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom