Author Topic: What am I forgetting?  (Read 3351 times)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: What am I forgetting?
« Reply #30 on: 12.02. 2013 15:14 »
considering everything timing, lubricating and spark related relies on this little gear on it's taper and small key it's comforting to know it's a tight fit, or it would be if it was but with both my bikes it came off easy, however both have done sufficient miles by now that I'm happy, tapers are wonderful way to transfer drive it seems
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #31 on: 12.02. 2013 16:59 »
I've also never used a puller to remove the crank cog ,when I stripping my motor after 25 odd years of playing with BSA's I wanted to do everything "by the book "and phoned SRM they said use a couple of screw drivers gently prising off worked fine and on every occasion since , regards  Bobh
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline bikemadinspain

• A's Good Friend
  • HOW IT ARRIVED ON DAY ONE
« Reply #32 on: 12.02. 2013 18:56 »
Thanks to all your fantasic help and advice the engine now looks like this>>>>>

I have already cleaned all the parts, yuk,,, and have a list of parts required i.e, new crancase oil seal, when I change the studs over to bolts, and the seal is a bit iffy anyway.. New crancase breather washer, any ideas what size I need, engine is a 51 model if that helps, new clutch springs, 3 x clutch adjusting nuts that had worked loose and worn away, posssibly the clutch plates, not yet checked the dimesions and a couple of aluminium repairs to the crancase (not me i mighnt add).

Once again thanks for all the fantastic advice I would really be lost without this forum,.

Oh yes one final question, any suggestions on what I should change as a matter of course or would concider updating whilst it is all apart? 

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #33 on: 12.02. 2013 19:20 »
G'day mate. Now that you have seen what a bugger of a job it is, replace anything that is even the smallest bit worn. Front sprocket & seal, clutch seal, big ends & main bearings & seal. Check cam shaft bushings. And clean out sludge trap and replace the oil way ball & spring under the screw near the main bush.
Best of luck, help is only a mouse click away.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 12.02. 2013 20:26 »
it all looks nicely organised in there, Yep take Musky's advise do what needs done, leads to peaceful state of mind and ride
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco