Author Topic: smokey and leaking  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Les Oz

• Active
smokey and leaking
« on: 22.10. 2008 12:22 »
Haven't been on net much lately as bike (A10 Plunger) has been going grouse and the grin gets bigger every time I fire it up.However I do have two probs I would like some advice on.
Prob 1. Oil leak,it leaks constantly even if it is not used for several days.I move the bike without starting it and it still leaks.The leak is on right side of engine above oil tank inlet to right engine case.if it leaked a few drops l could live with it,but it is more than a drop or two.any ideas would be apprieciated..

Prob 2  Bore is 40 thou over (71 ml) and had new rings last year (1600Kms or 1000s mile)and it is now needing rings again,they were fitted correct way gaps etc , I have had trouble sourcing new rings of good quality in Australia and was made aware that Triumph Tiger 650 has a 71 mill bore as standard,so are these rings interchangable (ring thickness) etc.These I can get very easily as they are still listed with quality supplier again any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated I have now included a photo of infected area please help put me out of my misery. I have contacted dealer in Adelaide for rings thanks for dealer info.  *conf*

Online Brian

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Mt Gambier, South Australia.
Re: smokey and leaking
« Reply #1 on: 22.10. 2008 12:46 »
Les,

Could your oil leak be coming from the magneto mounting face.

On the subject of rings, even poor rings should last longer than 1000 miles. I have been using GPM rings which I get from C@D Autos in England and they are very good.

The other alternative is to keep searching e-bay for a set of Hepolite rings.

Brian.

Offline fido

• Ferdinandovac, Croatia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2008 07:33 »
Have you had the engine apart and checked the rings for end gap etc? The smoking and leaking might be breather trouble.

Online olev

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2008 11:34 »
Les,
google 'JP pistons'
They are in Adelaide and make pistons for bikes, cars etc.
I bought a piston for a greeves from them. - good piston - good service
They also sell loose rings.

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 23.10. 2008 15:30 »
Well, you could smear the region with silicone rubber (clear, of course); there seems to be some resurgence of this approach to oil leaks . . .

Assuming the oil pipe and fittings are good, check the interface between the crankcase and inner timing cover. The gasket there might be bodged or it is simply a matter of tightening the screws. A crack in the case is highly unlikely but check for that, too.

The leak should not occur at the mag mounting face since the chamber there is not oil-filled.
David
'57 Spitfire

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 23.10. 2008 17:28 »
Ouch - non taken though

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #6 on: 24.10. 2008 13:55 »
Very often with oil leaks, you wont actually find the source if its hidden away. You will need to dismantle the area as far as you think you should, and re build with new gaskets, copper washers seals etc. This might even be right back to the crankcases. that will probably correct it, but at least eliminate this from the search.

On the subject of Piston Rings, there is no way that they will wear out in 1000 miles. What makes you believe that they are shot, have you measured the ring gaps or is it just smokey and leaky - its not wet sumping is it ??
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline Les Oz

• Active
« Reply #7 on: 28.10. 2008 09:33 »
Thanks People
After reading your comments and advice also a bit more reading I am starting to think that It
could have been during the rebuild that I hate to say was done by
me, and I really really hate , but I guess to learn the hard way
is,,,,,I can't even finish the sentence so I will have a beer whileI kick myself over and over

Les Oz

Offline dpaddock

• NC, USA
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 30.10. 2008 21:30 »
Hey, Les - it's worth it! But don't wear out your kicker . . .
David
David
'57 Spitfire