Author Topic: What carb?  (Read 966 times)

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
What carb?
« on: 24.02. 2013 21:29 »
Hi lads,
Been absent for some time, but that's just because for the last 3 weeks I spent every spare minute in the shed rebuilding my gearbox.
Replaced all bearings, bushings, oil seal, main shaft, kickstart quadrant & pinion, chain sprocket etc.....

Then again, a case of repair and despair hit the shed.
No matter how many times I kicked it over, it just wouldn't start.
In the end, I removed the plugs, to find them all wet. After drying, she started first kick, so I went out for a ride (in the evening, at -5° C, in a light snow, but I wanted to testride her so badly....)
After about a mile I stupidly enough stalled her *problem*, and again she wouldn't start, so I had to push her home *angry*
Back in the shed, I decided that it must have been a carb problem (wet plugs again). I already took the carb off before, but never came around cleaning it or checking it thoroughly, so this was the time to finally get it done. The main problem was dirt in the pilot jet, but I stumbled upon a bigger problem. I don't have the correct carb!!!!
It's a 367/252, which, according to porklips.org (many thanks for the link BVSR!) is a 1" from a 350 Royal Enfield!!!!!
Anyway, it's back on, and working now but I'm ready for a new one.

I am ready to go for a brandnew Amal, I just haven't figured out yet that it should be a 389 1 1/8" as the book says for a 1960 model (found out some time ago that the engine is 1960 vintage), or that it should be a 389, 1 3/16" as the head inlet measures 1 3/16", but can't link this size to any A10 GF.
Or does anybody have another suggestion or make to go for?
I'm open to anything, just looking for the best option available, so fire away!

By the way, the gearbox is perfect. No more clunck when selecting first gear and changes smooth like through butter.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: What carb?
« Reply #1 on: 25.02. 2013 05:42 »
My 2 cents worth is to put a 1 1/8'" 389 on it, if that is what was fitted originally as should be easy to get the jetting right for.  My 56 has a 389 and a 356 cam 7.25 ish pistons but someone has "gas flowed" the head i suspect and the intake is 1 1/4" .
Not the proper 1 1/16".  It runs ok without anything to remove the step in diameter, I guess yours would as well. MIne also has "book" settings for the 389.

Going bigger than 1 1/8" would probably make your engine carbaration not so good at lower rpm's.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 25.02. 2013 21:45 »
Here's a great bit of info on inlet port obstruction (credit to RGS-Bill);

http://www.braigasen.com/Induction_port_obstructions__%28by_George_Templin%29.pdf
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Lord Flashheart

• Moving Up
  • '59 S.R.powered GF.;
« Reply #3 on: 04.08. 2013 00:16 »
Here's a great bit of info on inlet port obstruction (credit to RGS-Bill);

http://www.braigasen.com/Induction_port_obstructions__%28by_George_Templin%29.pdf

All Hail - RGS Bill.!   
 This is an amazingly interesting document, and a "must read" for anyone suffering from "rich-running, plug fouling, black smoking or other similar symptoms.   This article points to a little discussed,- but I suspect, very common cause of the above symptoms, and the very simple corrective action that can be taken.
This should make its way near to the top of everyones fault-finding list, - particularly when not on ''intimate' terms with the 'bike in question. *smile*.

Thanks to RGS Bill and to morris  for bringing it to our attention.
Pete
Flash'

Live for today, but don't regret it tomorrow !

'59 G.Flash-S.Rocket Motor; '88 Honda Hawk 650 (Project); BMW1100RT; '04 HondaVFR800.