Author Topic: where does time go when playing in a shed /garage with your bike !!  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
I only ask this to see if other people have the same experience. Go do abit of gardening ,work on the house I can keep track of time but as soon as I walk in the garage time ..well flys ,forever getting shouted at by "she who must be obeyed " but makes no difference next time 10 mins turns to 2 hours and seems a blink of an eye. Last episode of this phenomenon occured to me  about 2 weeks ago  , went in to tidy the bench and adjust the clutch , which led to fitting 2 shelves and somewhere to put all the assorted screwdrivers etc etc result wife in royal navy parlance , had joined the submarine service ie "she was rigged for silent running"   anyway not a word was spoken for some time !! seems I'd been absent for over 3 and a half hours oh well what can you do .Only lasted an hour so not to bad. As I've had a bout of man flu for 2 weeks I've not felt up to working on the bike since but this weekend have to get cracking ,the advice I'm looking for is  if you all think it would be best to try harder with the time management or give up and simply put up an hammock in the garage !! (Don't worry any advice obtained will not be admitted in divorce proceedings nor names given ,)I look forward to reading your stories advice, best wishes BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline fido

• Zala County, Hungary
  • Resident Legend
If you have some means of playing CDs while you work you will know if it's a 1 CD / 2 CD / 3CD session etc. I use this technique to remind myself to chuck more wood on the stove each time a CD finishes.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
I understand so well Bob, I blame Captain James Tobias Kirk ever since he created that glitch in the time continuum my shed often slips into a parallel universe.

I've been good for some time though having spent much of the last three (that could be five) months making a new rose garden, fitting a kitchen and now half way through papering the staircase and laying a laminate floor.

however as soon as these extra marital duties are finished I'm back off down to Tardis ( sorry shed)
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline gavinoz

• A's Best Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
There is always the same quantity of time, its just not linear or personal. You fellows quick/lost hours get shuffled onto my Phone companys 'please hold your call is valuable to us' Queue. 
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Bob,
           Silence can be a blessing. 

Trev.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
There is always the same quantity of time, its just not linear or personal.

Right. I have the same experience when going out for a ride, but that can be explained by Einsteins theory, that is when you move fast, time for you goes slower than for people who stand still.
If for instance you would drive at the speed of light, time stands still for you. On a couple of occasions, I must have come pretty close to it, as it seemed to me I've been out for just a short run, whereas, upon my return, she who runs the place shouted; "where have you been? Drove around the world or what?"

For those who are interested in the scientific explanation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZfx7iwq94
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
that is when you move fast, time for you goes slower than for people who stand still.

so if you run backwards fast enough you could visit Small Heath in 1960 and if you took a wad with buy a new A10 right off the line
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online metalflake11

• Resident Legend
'run backwards fast'
Fair play to you Bill,........ I can no longer manage that forwards!........ It's a nice thought, but far easier to run forward to Friday and get the winning numbers for the Euromillions Lottery. That ammount of money would send you straight to B.S.A. heaven!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Bob, does your particular version of "Mission Control" watch TV programs like Coronation St or reality cooking shows?  *sleepy*

I've found these are great opportunities for slipping out to the shed, carefully timed comments during said programs can actually make your presence unwelcome.... and even elicit the words "If you can't keep quiet why don't you go down the shed" - job done  *smile*
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash EA7-168x, CA10 913x, left BSA together for Liverpool, 5th Dec 1955.

1949 B31 rigid “400cc hot rod” (favourite bike)

1949 C11 rigid, but why!!! (cos it was cheap)

1937 B21, missing parts so mission impossible?

1952 Armstrong Siddeley Whitley for rainy days (with wife).

GL1800 Goldwing not sure why, maybe cos it always starts

Offline gavinoz

• A's Best Friend
Brilliant Kiwi !!

Morris, you seem to be the relativist, how do I think of that 10 years ago? ???
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Morris, you seem to be the relativist, how do I think of that 10 years ago? ???

Gav, I'll tell you when I found a long enough stretch of road to get the right speed.
May need to come over to your place to find it though......
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline gavinoz

• A's Best Friend
Right ! I can see the head lines now: A10 Owners Conquer Time!! We need to speak to Muskrat!!!
Australia

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
We need to speak to Muskrat!!!

Good thinking! Let's organise an attempt and put ourselves in the Hall Of Fame next to Burt Munro.
If we don't achieve going back in time, at least we made ourselves immortal!
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
Belgium

Offline Motoanimal

• Moving Up
I don’t really have a problem with ‘er indoors regarding how much time I spend in the garage, should I be worried?  *conf* Apparently as long as the compressor is not running for hours she doesn’t seem to care too much! And as I have a fridge full of beer and a hand washbasin I can pee in if I need to, I don’t either really!  *smile* “yesh daaarling ish dinner ready then?” <burp>

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the
glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big
as it needs to be.

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Right ! I can see the head lines now: A10 Owners Conquer Time!! We need to speak to Muskrat!!!

Nothing new for us Ozzies...
On the 6th of July at 10:00 I will be flying out of Sydney ...
16 hours later I land in Vancouver at 07:00 the same day...   ????    *eek*

so I'm going to look younger on arrival...  BUT loose 2 days on the trip home... BUGGER  *problem*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"