Author Topic: Re-chrome old rims or replace  (Read 796 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Re-chrome old rims or replace
« on: 23.02. 2013 14:36 »
Both front and rear rims on my 1957 gold flash need an overhaul and so to the question. I asked S&T from Yate who were at the Shepton Mallet show and they said the only reason to re-chrome is of one is trying to preserve the Man'f stamping on the rims.
I like to keep as many original parts on my bike as is possible that's why I asked about re-chroming.
My question is are my rims original?. The stamping on them says"RADELLI" Made in Italy. Does any one know what rims BSA were using in 1957.
Regards Huddie

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
Re: Re-chrome old rims or replace
« Reply #1 on: 23.02. 2013 15:17 »
Huddie

Original wheels would have been either Dunlop or Jones. As for re plating rims, I think you will find this is an expensive option, and it is more than possible that there may well be corrosion inside the rims that will be next to impossible to remove. New rims would probably be the most cost effective way to go. The best option in the long term would be stainless steel, although the cost of stainless might put you off in the short term. Do not under any circumstances be tempted to buy cheap chrome rims. They will not last very long and you will very quickly come to regret it.  Cheap chrome rims will start to rust and quite possibly even start to flake within a year or so even if they are not exposed to water or salt. I suppose it all depends on whether  you intend to keep the bike or are just tiding it up to sell.

John

Offline iansoady

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 01.03. 2013 12:29 »
Radaelli are the cheap rims often fitted in the 70s and 80s. They aren't original.

Many platers won't touch wheels as the spoke holes rip their polishing mops.
Ian.
1962 Golden Flash (arrived)
1955 Velo Viper/Venom (departed)
2004 Triumph Tiger 955i (staying)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 01.03. 2013 13:29 »
Many platers won't touch wheels as the spoke holes rip their polishing mops.
yes this was the reason for the price given when my mate had his rims chromed, they didn't last though, soon started to peel, my British chromed rims have been on about ten years now, a few spots appearing but still quite good
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 01.03. 2013 15:53 »
Hi Huddie see my latest posting, may help ( wheel removal )

Colin