Author Topic: Wheels slightly pitted  (Read 1141 times)

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
Wheels slightly pitted
« on: 04.03. 2013 12:51 »
Hi all,

Added to ever growing list this morning are slightly pitted wheels.
Anyone got any advice on the best way to clean them up?

Thanks,
Shaun
61 Super Rocket swing-arm

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
Re: Wheels slightly pitted
« Reply #1 on: 04.03. 2013 12:59 »
Hi Shaun,

I use Brillo Pads.

Use hot(ish) water and make sure that there are plenty of soap suds.  After washing the suds off with clean water thoroughly dry the rims before giving them a polish with Solvol Autosol or something similar.

Beezageezauk.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 04.03. 2013 13:10 »
I'd try to neutralise what's already there with an anti rust treatment, some of that green gel stuff painted over the pitted bits, leave to work for a while then rinse off well with soapy water and clean water as Shaun advises, after that I diverge from Shaun,s method a bit as I don't like Autosol on chrome it's fine for alloy as it's a fine abrasive but for chrome a really good wax shines and protects - magura (spln) is my choice these days
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.03. 2013 13:16 »
Read somewhere that wet aluminium foil can be used. Any experiences?

Online Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #4 on: 04.03. 2013 14:01 »
Yep, sounds harsh but it works with brillo pads or wire wool with light oil , afterwards you do have to keep an eye on 'em as they will rust again quickly .I'll have to do mine in a week or so as I've seen the effect on my front rim of this wet winter!!BobH  
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online Angus

• Suffolk, UK
  • Resident Legend
  • The A7
« Reply #5 on: 04.03. 2013 18:27 »
Hi Bill
My A7 rims are not too bad, but the crappy radaelli rims that I bought 30+ years ago then never fitted until now have very thin chrome which already is slightly dull in places. I too don't like autosol on chrome and was looking at the 'Meguiars Nxt Generation Metal Polysh' but it states that this has 'Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology' which implies abrasion so was not sure about using it any idea how Abrasive it is as I would like to polish and protect the rims without going though the chrome.
I have also looked at
Scottoiler FS365
Poorboys Wheel Sealant
Eureka Fluid Film
+ others
Once the Chrome has started to deteriorate it need protection as much as  polishing.
1961 A7 since 1976, 1960 A10 Gold Flash Super Profile Bike
1958 Matchless G80 Project, 1952 Norton Model 7 Plunger
1950 Triumph T100, 1981 Ducati Pantah 500, 1959 AJS model 20

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.03. 2013 19:09 »
Hi Angus
Now I've finished wallpapering for tonight my brain has kicked back out of robot mode I realise the polish I refer d to is indeed the same one as you mention and also indeed is a metal polish not a wax polish although I think it contains a bit of wax going by the smell??, I reckon it's several degrees finer than Autosol though, if you have a spare hidden bit of paintwork somewhere it might be worth giving it a little rub then a look to see if you can determine any scratches.
I usually wax the paintwork on my bike and the chrome  at the same time with the same stuff (can't recall the make but it's high in Canaruba  (speln again) and that's the stuff I meant to say.

I bought new rims from Central Wheel when I was down near Wolverhampton (didn't realise you have to order them as they get punched for your bike then chromed, so did not achieve saving postage as I thought), this was at least ten years ago, I bought the British ones and although some spotting appeared two or three years back (front of course) it has got no worse they are still pretty good and all I use is the wax paintwork polish.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.03. 2013 19:14 »
Angus, the maguires is slightly abrasive but far less than solvol. I use it on my chrome occasionally without a problem. (Which I wouldn't do with Solvol) and it does the job very well. It has brought some dull old chrome up a treat. It does seem to leave a protective coating after you buff it up too. Excellent on aluminium!
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 15.03. 2013 20:16 »
Well I've spent 7 hours on one side of the front wheel so far and it's coming up a treat.
Using a fine scotchbrite rotary cloth and 0000 wire wool followed by 1200 wet/dry. It's brought them up a treat. A few more attempts and some good polishing then I think most of the pits will have vanished.
Plus, I'll have a huge right arm from all the work!  *work*

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 15.03. 2013 21:42 »
Try this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mEhcrZmu4
I mean the coke and silverfoil, NOT putting your hair in platts and dressing up in a schoolgirl uniform! *beer*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline ShaunMac

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 15.03. 2013 21:45 »
I had a go at the coke & foil. It's good, but the foil was falling apart too quickly...maybe I was rubbing too hard.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #11 on: 17.03. 2013 11:36 »
When you have finished trat the wheels to a good chrome WAX.
Yes I was shouting.
Chrome is chockers with very fine cracks that your eye can not see.
Filling these with wax will go a long way to preventing further rusting.
Treating them with a polish leves these cracks open to water ingression & futher rusting.
Bike Beesa
Trevor
( who finally has his new box working properly )
Bike Beesa
Trevor