Author Topic: Golden Flash decals, what and where ?  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
Golden Flash decals, what and where ?
« on: 02.11. 2008 13:11 »
Hello again,
I'm still trying to get to grips with odd things like badges, paint schemes and now the stickers or decals on the Golden Flash Models, particularly for the 1953 plunger models, as mine.

Apart from the oil level decal on the oiltank and the BSA corporate decal on the toolbox, I have understood that there were at least 2 other decals on the bikes, i.e the "BSA Golden Flash" decal (not the tank badge) and the "Made in England" decal. Wher did they go on the bike?
In the Gold Portfolio book by Brooklands Books there is a 1953 US press-cut from the Cycle magazine  showing a plunger with three "BSA Golden Flash" decals , one below the numberplate holder on the rear fender, and one on each side of the front fender , where the UK bikes normally have their license number. I have also been told that some Golden Flashes have the same decal on the top of the tank, like the Super Rocket. I
s there a correct loacation for these decals, or was it up to the dealer/importer to stick them on where he wanted ?

Where did  the Made in England" decal go ?

Are there any other decals that went on the bikes from new, eg Amal, Lucas, Renold Chains etc ?

Did the decals come in differnt colors, to suit the golden beige and black paint schemes ?

Regards
Nitti
Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !
BSA Golden Flash-53 with Sidecar

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Golden Flash decals, what and where ?
« Reply #1 on: 02.11. 2008 13:26 »
I'm not sure that the made in England sticker was a factory thing, someone will put me right on that one no doubt.
There were different colours though, mainly for the piled arms and oil level stickers- gold stickers on Black bikes and black stickers on Gold bikes, by piled arms I mean the sticker on the top of the rear number plate holder not the ones on the oil tank/toolbox they I think were the same for all bikes.
The bsaoc handbook has a useful section with pictures of transfer and there location.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 02.11. 2008 13:40 »
Thanks,
is the BSAOC handbook available in electronic format, if so wher can I find it ?

Regards
Nitti

PS did the patches you ordered from me arrive safely ?
Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !

Offline Beezageezauk

• N.E. England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 02.11. 2008 15:22 »
The "Oil Level" transfer/decal is also available in black or gold to contrast the colour of the oil tank.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 02.11. 2008 15:59 »
I think you would have to join the club to get the handbook Nitti, I have just rejoined after lapsing for a year or two, It doesn't cost very much and you get a monthly magazine ( the Star ) do a Google for bsaoc and you will get all the info.
Yes I got the badges allright and they are superb - do you have any left? I might buy one for a mate who is doing me a favour.

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 02.11. 2008 16:03 »
Nitti,

If I didn't let you know already, yes, the patches arrived and they are quite nice. I don't know yet where I am going to put them, as my present jacket is at end of life.  

Richard

Offline Nitti

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 02.11. 2008 16:53 »
Bill and Richard,
thanks for the confirmations, I'm glad that the patches arrived safely and that you are happy with them. Yes, I have several left, so keep the orders flowing ;-)

Nitti
Nitti- Ekero/Sweden !

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 02.11. 2008 20:41 »
I don't think the "Made In England " decal was used before 1960. There should be a "Golden Flash" decal on the rear guard very close to the bottom. Possibly a "Piled Arms 650cc" on top of the number plate. I have seen a toolbox type decal on the front of the headstock.
Pretty sure Flashes never had a tank top decal.
   Trev.

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #8 on: 02.11. 2008 21:49 »
As well as having the correct decals in the correct places I think another important factor is obtaining the 'correct' reproduction. There are quite a few available on ebay, some are very correct and others not so. On my latest bike the decal I think is totally wrong although I'd like it to be correct as it looks stunning against a black background. How do we know which is right or wrong?

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 03.11. 2008 19:10 »
I prefer the ones where the belt around the rifles is a little bit duller/ even a shade pinker and is sort of shaded in parts ( not a solid colour all round ) just looks a little more authentic, but who knows which is right, it was a while ago

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 03.11. 2008 20:13 »
not sure if it's a belt or not but looks like one, probably some sort of military belt - strap - or rifle strap maybe.
If you know more than that please enlighten me

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill

Offline LJ.

• Peterborough UK.
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • The Red A10!
    • LJ's Website!
« Reply #11 on: 03.11. 2008 22:51 »
Never give a thought about the belt before but I'm now wondering what the rifles are? they certainly are not Lee Enfields but look like the kind of guns used during the Zulu campagne, just cant think of what they are called... (just done a google search) Martini-Henry! Some good reading on this page... http://www.martinihenry.com/infantry.htm

Ride Safely Lads! LJ.
1940 BSA M20 500cc Girder/Rigid- (SOLD)
1947 BSA M21 600cc Girder/Rigid-Green
1949 BSA A7   500cc Girder/Plunger Star Twin-(SOLD)
1953 BSA B33  500cc Teles/Plunger-Maroon
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Blue
1961 BSA A10  650cc Golden Flash-Red

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 04.11. 2008 22:02 »
The decal above is a terrible example being offered by by some dealers. The colours are wrong.
I bought some excellent types from C & D Autos several years ago. I imagine the ones from the Vintage MCC transfer scheme would be good also. I have attached [hopefully] two examples. The black background one is on my Super Rocket and the light background one is from another site as I couldn't get a good shot at my Flash.
Trev.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 05.11. 2008 03:55 »
It looks like www.basmotor.se has a variety of decent stacked arms transfers, closer to what Trev has shown. I was unable to view pictures of the transfers on their English site. but they did show up on their Swedish site.

I may be reading too much into this, but the belt would seem to be and would logically be for ammo, and Trev's bottom photo looks like it could be showing ammo sticking out toward the inside of the loop.

Richard

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #14 on: 05.11. 2008 06:37 »
The guns must surely be BSA's own?! Can't imagine they'd show other folks' offerings on their own logo (unless they owned the marques). But what they are I have no idea as I know nowt. Once had a BSA air rifle as a child . . . .

There's obviously a lot to getting these transfer things correct . . . not an area I have ever thought about, but very educational for those of us who remain blissfully untouched by the finer details. I imagine discussions can get quite heated, on the basis of the Rarefied Academics' Law that heat generated is inversely proportional to the importance of the subject! Only joking . .
Bill