Author Topic: Speedo Disassemble, Inspect, Service, Reassemble, Hope  (Read 22390 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Speedo Disassemble, Inspect, Service, Reassemble, Hope
« Reply #30 on: 12.04. 2009 23:33 »
MikeN,

Do you have a drawing of the changes to the frame and would you be willing to share it?

Richard L.

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 13.04. 2009 00:23 »
I haven't done any for a couple of years now, but from memory ; There is a small gear (they're all small), by where the cable enters the bottom of the chassis (it might actually BE the gear the cable enters)and it is retained by a metal plate and a small slotted cheese head screw. remove the screw, remove the plate and withdraw the gear. Set up in vice on vertical mill and with an 8mm slot drill ,mill the surface down 4.75 (3/16") lower.you re-tap the thread a bit deeper ,and re-assemble. And thats it.By lowering the gear that amount I think it brings it into mesh with another gear so reversing the drive (somehow. I never got involved in the details).I didnt do  many as the majority of speedos go one way and only a few were specified the opposite.   
Mike

Offline MikeN

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #32 on: 13.04. 2009 00:36 »
And another thing,
A tip I read for unscrewing the chrome bezels if you dont have any suitable tools is to hold the instrument face down in hot water so the plated brass bezel expands (brass has a higher co-efficient of linear expansion than steel).
   Use a rubber glove for better purchase and give it a twist .
   Making a GGRRRRNNNFF sort of noise at the same time could also help.
  You can also make up a handle from a strip of steel with 2 holes and attatch it using the mounting studs. Which are ,I believe 6mm or possibly 0BA but not 1/4" BSF or cycle thread

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 13.04. 2009 02:43 »
It's definatly 6mm. Did you see the strap-wrench approach I showed in the opening post on this topic? Also, thanks, again.

Richard L.

Offline azcaveman

• Moving Up
  • Retired techo geek
« Reply #34 on: 28.09. 2020 13:48 »
The trip meter reset mount screw worked its way loose and I need to remove the dial to tighten the screw but I'm not sure how the pointer is attached. Is it a press fit on the shaft that can it be pulled off without tools?

Offline BSARGS650

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #35 on: 28.09. 2020 14:54 »
Hi azcaveman,

I was fortunate to have a pointer extractor tool from days long gone of calibrating pressure gauges, it is very simple, but one could be made out of a hex nut, thick wall tube with the bottom filed off suitable to make legs that clamp below the pointer.  The opposite end threaded to take a screw with a "pin" turned suitable to fit the pointer shaft with a little clearance.  Same effect as a run of the mill puller so to speak.  The pointer is only a press fit.  Despite having the puller, I have often removed the pointer using two screwdrivers under the pointer, with the dial face protected with a bit of card or cloth, carefully levering upwards,  It should pop off without too much pressure and no damage....

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 28.09. 2020 21:41 »
Hi All,
Recently I have seen the above and another reference to using a standard instrument needle puller
to remove the needle from a chronometric  instrument
The needle fits onto a hollow sleeve so in my experience a normal puller can swell the outer end of the needle and
or put pressure on the inner spindle!
Not a good idea *eek*
I put the puller around the needle, clamp the puller in a vice and pull on the speedo so no pressure is put on the inner spindle

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)