Author Topic: Oil return on start up after rebuild  (Read 4778 times)

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
Oil return on start up after rebuild
« on: 09.03. 2013 11:58 »
Hi All, just fired up my A10 after rebuild due to it having dropped a crank thrust washer. How long should it run before I start to see bubbles back in the oil tank. I have only run it twice so far, first time for about 10 seconds second time about 20 seconds cooling down between these starts, sort of heat slaving it I guess. I have a clear tube in the feed to the rockers and a few bubbles have appeared in that but not a full flow.
Just thought I would check, rather be safe than sorry after all the time/expense of a rebuild. Oh! just remembered I did bleed the oil pump by loosening the pressure release until the oil flowed, so how long then folks before the bubbles appear in the oil tank.
Regards Huddie

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Oil return on start up after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2013 12:17 »
Hi Huddie
I kick mine over with the plugs out for a while before firing it up, oil wont return immediately as it has to drain down into the bottom of the crankcase and up to the return pipe,
a shortcut is to get some oil in the sump while building it up, I pour some down the pushrod tunnel it seeps down fills the cam throgh and overflows into the sump,
As yours has run for thirty seconds in all I'd think oil had got to it's important little places but I'd still give it a kick over with plugs out until I saw some oil return
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #2 on: 09.03. 2013 12:29 »
Hi Bill, Thanks for that. I will give it a go on the kick start, plugs out, as you suggest. I guess I was thinking that just on the kick start there wouldn't be enough flow to get all the way back to the oil tank but I will try it and see what happens.
Regards Huddie

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 09.03. 2013 15:54 »
Take the plugs out. Earth them on the cylinder head & put in 2nd or 3rd gear. Take the bike walkies- no strain on any moving parts & the oil return should soon be visible.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #4 on: 09.03. 2013 15:56 »
Take the plugs out. Earth them on the cylinder head & put in 2nd or 3rd gear. Take the bike walkies- no strain on any moving parts & the oil return should soon be visible.
Good tip ++

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.03. 2013 16:05 »
Take the bike walkies- no strain on any moving parts

Yes good advise stu.andrews, if I lived somewhere flat I'd follow it, unfortunately although the gradient around my place is not severe it would put a strain on  My moving parts *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #6 on: 09.03. 2013 16:59 »
Yea I tried bill's idea that worked, thanks. When I next started it though, just for 30 second,s the return oil flow was less than when I was kicking it over why would that be?. Stu's idea is fine but at my age not really an option.
Any tips on running in how fast for how long etc.
Regards Huddie

Offline Goldy

• Warwickshire, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 09.03. 2013 17:10 »
Some years ago forum member Manosound  filmed the oil return to tank on his A10. Go to YouTube and type in BSA A10 oil return to tank and you will find it.
56 A10 Golden Flash - Restore, ride, relive.                                          
56 C12 BSA project ongoing

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 09.03. 2013 18:00 »
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline stu.andrews

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #9 on: 10.03. 2013 10:30 »
No strict revs or road speed for running in. Just let the engine run without high revs & definitely do not labour the engine. Plenty of gear changing so the engine runs & sounds sweet. Run in progressively for about a 1000 miles. Oil change at 250-500miles & another at 1000miles.
2010 Yamaha TDM 900-Touring
2012 Triumph Bonneville SE-Fun

Spitfiremk9

« Reply #10 on: 10.03. 2013 12:22 »
That'll do nicely !! BobH

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #11 on: 10.03. 2013 14:30 »
Hi All, Didn't know wether to start a new thread or not so I have added it to this. Tried to start it again today as part of the heat cycle and to check the oil flow again. I tried without any luck. Almost seemed like there was to much compression as I was having a job kicking it over. Decided it wasnt my old legs so I thought I would check the timing. Now, when I took the timing cover off I collected about 200ml of nice clean engine oil from inside the cover, is this right? We are not talking dynamo chain lube as at this stage there is only aerosol chain lube on that. Is it right for that to be there and where is it coming from?
Regards Huddie

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 10.03. 2013 14:55 »
there is a hole cast in the crankcase (timing side) so oil will find it's way into the timing cases, also some will get in via various bushes in there and is needed to lubricate all the pinions, so yes you would expect to find oil in there, 200 ml about a third of a pint  - mmmmm  might just be a bit much - anyone like to comment       
All the best - Bill

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 10.03. 2013 15:16 »
A third of a pint seems too much, mine is usually about an egg cupfull, if that....... Chronic wet sumping? That might explain difficulty kicking the bike over too.
             mf
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #14 on: 10.03. 2013 15:42 »
Hi All, thanks for responding, interesting about the wet sumping but I didn't think it was that because I checked the sump before I tried to start it just in case and there was just enough in the sump to cover the bottom of a measuring jug. Not sure again how wet sumping would relate to it getting into the timing cover?
If there is meant to be some in there I am going to ignore the oil in there for now and get on with my timing check.
Thanks for now Huddie