Author Topic: Oil return on start up after rebuild  (Read 4764 times)

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
Re: Oil return on start up after rebuild
« Reply #30 on: 11.03. 2013 15:12 »
I put some straight 50 in my AJS 650 once, in winter I couldn't kick it over. Swapped it for classic 20/50 and it stared really easily.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #31 on: 15.03. 2013 14:27 »
Hello Everyone, It starts now hoo-ray. Put the straight 30 in there tried it still as tight as a ducks bottom. Kept on trying and then the kickstart wouldn't return on the spring. Busted spring I thought, how unlucky can one guy get. Unlucky cus I had taken the gearbox apart while the engine was out for my original prob which was a dropped crankshaft thrust washer.
I wanted to do the g/box oil seal and I also did all the bushes. Now when I put it back together the kickstart functioned fine but with the g/box outer cover removed the kickstart didn't unwind is was that tight!!!.
Reamed it out again refitted it all and Bingo it starts up fine now. Probably wasted my money on the straight 30.
No idea why the kick shaft should tighten up in its outer bush?
Oil flow on the straight 30 is fine, I will do a few running in miles and then change it.
Regards Huddie

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #32 on: 15.03. 2013 16:13 »
You've not wasted your money mate, 50's is no good in this cold weather (too thick). As you say the oil return is better now with the 30's in the tank which is critical! Good luck with the running in. *smile*
P.S. Not a clue why the kickstart should stick??
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 15.03. 2013 16:36 »
Huddie,

Did you replace the kickstart quadrant or the cog it mates with? If one or the other, or both, are of the variety with flat-top teeth, the kickstart lever will be tight. Doesn't quite sound like that is your problem unless you have honed out the outer bush so much as to compensate for the distance beween gear centers. When I replaced my quadrant, it was because the inside end of the quadrant spindle had broken off in the bush. This happended because I kept starting up while the outer bush was so loose that the spindle wasn't close to running perpendicular to the inner. Amazingly, I was able to start up a few times before fracturing the outer gearbox cover. I learned about the flat-topped teeth having bought one such and having it not work.

Good luck. I must say, you are showing your A10 loyalty quite nobly, considering the various troubles.

Richard L 

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 15.03. 2013 18:04 »
Good point Richard I too have one of the flat toothed quadrants, mine would not mesh at all so I think Huddie would have notice, I have since purchased the ratchet that mates with the flat toothed dodah.

Don't know what it is that causes the kickstart to jam just now and then but it seems to be quite commen.

did you have the spacer in place Huddie, the one that fits on the shaft and keeps the spring off the shaft
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #35 on: 15.03. 2013 18:44 »
Hello All, Once again many thanks for all the help and advice. To Manosound and Bsa Bill, I replaced the shaft and the cog. Both my original quadrant and the new cog were not the flat tooth variant. The spacer is in place.
The intriguing thing is that when I took the cover off and just tried to run the kick start shaft through the outer bush it went very tight part way through and as I said I had to ream it out a bit. Cant work that out for trying, obviously I will keep an eye on it while I am heat cycling it and if it tightens again I will let you know.
Regards Huddie

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #36 on: 15.03. 2013 18:57 »
Hi Huddie
when I replaced the steel bush for the kickstart shaft in the gearbox cover I found a similar situation, I put it down to slightly more wear on the shaft where it sits in the bush compared to the bit that comes right through and the kickstart lever covers.
So when I'd reamed it to allow the thick bit of the shaft through the shaft was then just a tad slack in the bush, difficult one to get around without a new shaft, I slipped an o ring onto the shaft before the kickstart lever to keep it oil tight (yea I know it's a bodge)
Does all that make sense
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline huddie

• A's Good Friend
  • wiltshire, england
« Reply #37 on: 15.03. 2013 21:11 »
Hi bsa-bill, The shaft I used was not new but it was a lot better than the one I removed which was visibly worn in the area aound the bush. Hopefully my box will still be oil tight having reamed it again but if not I will bear in mind your fix. Definitely a fix when you find a solution which keeps these old machines running.
regards Huddie

Offline metalflake11

• Resident Legend
« Reply #38 on: 15.03. 2013 21:25 »
Hopefully my box will still be oil tight having reamed it again *eek* *eek*
England N.W
1960 A10
England

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #39 on: 16.03. 2013 07:40 »
Oh mf you are naughty. ;)
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 16.03. 2013 09:50 »

Heya Huddie, keep at it, and good luck, for what it's worth and I'm no expert on oil, but I came across some Castrol 15w/40 in a tin can, so figured that was good enough for me-(normally I use Penrites, but couldn't find anything other than 20w/60) seems fine did a 35 mile lap today, would've been ~30˚and still I can't get much to leak out and it's still 26˚ as I speak (write)7.45pm ....? -confused

bsa-bill you crack me up with your shit....'downwit da kids' -whatever...haha
 cheers folks
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia