Author Topic: A7 SS - Couple of Questions  (Read 8459 times)

Richard

Re: A7 SS - Couple of Questions
« Reply #45 on: 22.12. 2008 14:14 »
Try the link below if you can not see what you want then ring them up as they have loads of parts still not listed
I have dealt with them in the past and they are very helpful
Hope this helps
Richard

http://www.btinternet.com/~hawkshaw.motorcycles/

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #46 on: 27.12. 2008 08:29 »
You might want to give cake street classics a ring. He deals mainly with A series stuff. I have never dealt with him but I have it on good authority he is a top bloke. He's based in Woodbridge Suffolk I think. I know he has rear mudguards, don't know about fronts!
http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/home/a0_C/a0_CA/i876_Cake_Street_Classics_(A7~10_Parts_and_Rebuilding)

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #47 on: 27.12. 2008 15:44 »
Thanks for the guidance and useful links.

I am just waiting for the settlement from the insurance company and then will have some purchases to make.

First priority is to rebuild the front end I think that we can source what we need from about 3 suppliers.  The only difficult part seems to be a front mudguard.  I am considering getting a fibreglass one from http://www.cmf-engineering.com/ and then keep my eyes open for a good metal one or have a go at straightening my existing one.  Has anyone used any of the fibreglass bits from cmf?

The only other item needing sorting rather than replacing is seeing if we can find someone to "straighten" the front wheel.

I will just need to then get some paint mixed to repaint the damaged bits.

Nigel

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #48 on: 28.12. 2008 12:33 »
The damaged wheel will probably need a new rim and spokes, try these, there are others.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #49 on: 13.02. 2009 10:42 »
Quick update.

I have now received the cheque from the insurance company and have ordered the required parts from draganfly and SRM.  Looking to get the forks rebuilt and then find out how far "out" the front rim is and then send it off for repair/straightening etc...

Still looking for a front mudguard - I take the silence with regard to my previous question about cmf-engineering to mean that either people have not used one or are not willing to comment  ;)

Just need to get some paint sorted for both the fork trousers (any recommendations?!?) and also to touch up the bits of bodywork requiring attention.

Will hopefully stick some photos of both the damaged bits and the rebuild as things progress.

Thanks

Nigel

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #50 on: 23.03. 2009 07:47 »
A quick update on progress!

Dad has rebuilt the front forks for me.  We sourced a new pair of fork trousers which have been sprayed black and are now ready to go on.  The wheel has gone off to Rockerbox in Wrecclesham for truing up (or rebuild) and to have the drum skimmed.  I have ordered a fibreglass mudguard from cmf as a temporary measure until I can either repair the bent one or source another one.  Once the wheel comes back and the mudguard is sprayed up I will get the bike in for an MoT.

Also found that the seat base has cracked so a new one is on the cards.

At the end of this we should end up with a funcitional, if not mint, running bike.  The various chips in the paint will be touched up and the dent in the tank will be left as a reminder of how stupid I have been!  *conf*

Nigel

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #51 on: 11.10. 2009 18:15 »
I have ordered a fibreglass mudguard from cmf as a temporary measure until I can either repair the bent one or source another one.  Once the wheel comes back and the mudguard is sprayed up I will get the bike in for an MoT.

OK can I MoT the bike without a front mudguard??

Everything is all back together and it runs fine - had a quick potter up and down the road this afternoon.  *smile*

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #52 on: 27.10. 2009 08:35 »
MoT is still valid until this weekend so last weekend went out and put a few miles on the bike.

Everything seems good but we had problems with the RH plug fouling slightly which was sorted with a quick change of plug.  There seems to be a bit of dead spot when accelerating hard but that may be just due to the carb requiring a slight adjustment or me changing up to early.  It was nice to be back out on it.  I am leaving substantially larger gaps between myself and cars when following  ;)

I am still trying to find out if I need to fit the mudguard for the MoT or whether I can leave it off for now?

Thanks

Nigel

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #53 on: 28.02. 2010 19:05 »
OK,

Final stage is about to happen  *smile*

Bike has been sat in the garage for a while.  Started it up a couple of weeks ago, needed to help Dad tidy up the garage, and it started almost straight away.

Have spent the afternoon today cleaning tar spots of my BMW R1200 GSA and fitting the unpainted fibreglass mudguard to the bike.  Its now ready for its MoT!!!

So depending on the weather forecast I will be off to Finn's in Redhill next Saturday morning to get an MoT sorted and will then see about painting the mudguard.

Having a quick look today I think that I might need a new front tyre.  Currently got a ribbed Avon(?) which is showing its age and is starting to crack.  What do people recommend I change it for???

Thanks

Nigel

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #54 on: 13.03. 2010 12:30 »
Went for a ride this morning and came back with a nice Green Sheet of paper (without an orange one behind)!

It lives again.  MoT'd and road legal. *smile*

Offline flashblack

• West Devon, England
  • A's Good Friend
  • 1959 golden flash
« Reply #55 on: 13.03. 2010 18:26 »
Congratulations! Hope you have many happy miles on her now, how about a photo?  *smiley4*
Regards, Rich
1959 golden flash
1949 B31 plunger