Author Topic: A7 SS - Couple of Questions  (Read 8447 times)

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
Re: A7 SS - Couple of Questions
« Reply #15 on: 10.11. 2008 16:12 »
That's something else that is worth thinking about.

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 17.11. 2008 10:35 »
Well the paperwork was exchanged last Wednesday insurance sorted online (£54 full comp for the year - with a £30 discount voucher) not bad I thought and I got to ride it this weekend  *smile* *smile* *smile*

It is such a nice ride the only problem was a loose mirror which lost the nut down the handlebar tube and necessitated a ride home with no mirrors - no sorted with a new nut! 

The right foot gear change does not seem to be a problem as it is completely different, different foot and direction, from my BMW or Kawasaki.  All I need now are lots of sunny days with no salt on the roads.  Also popped into Hein Gericke and got a nice small magnetic tankbag to take my phone and keys etc...

We managed to get the steering lock out yesterday, there was no grub screw fitted, so I have ordered a replacement part with some keys which we will then fit.  Also ordered new oil feed and return pipes as the current one look a bit ropey, new grip rubbers, new tank rubbers, new gear shift rubber and a couple of spare plugs.

Also started to sort out my spanners to create a get me home toolkit.  Anyone have the definitive list of what was in the original toolkit?

Thanks

Nigel

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 07.12. 2008 17:58 »
Well had a slight problem on the way home from a ride yesterday morning which resulted me not being able to stop quite in time and rear ending the back of a car.  I have got a bruised left hand and a few other sore bits but the bike looks a bit worse.  Waiting for the insurance company to contact me but it looks a like a complete front end being required.

*cry* *cry*

Offline stratcat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #18 on: 13.12. 2008 07:18 »
Glad you are ok.

The metal stuff can be fixed easier than broken bones etc..

Not that it will make you feel any better, but I've had my fair share of scary stopping over the years, relying on old bike brakes and not enough stopping distance.

Hope the sore bits heal quickly.

Offline unclemeat

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 13.12. 2008 10:04 »
I know that BSA / car crunching feeling all too well. Glad that you're ok. The bike will soon be back on the road by the looks of things.
BSA A10 GOLDEN FLASH 1954
CHANG JIANG COMBO 1968
TRIUMPH THRUXTON 2007

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 13.12. 2008 11:20 »
oops.
Glad  you're ok!
Iain

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 14.12. 2008 17:18 »
Thanks for the good wishes.

There were no broken bones fortunately and looking at the bike I think I was very lucky.  My BMW Streetguard kit shows no damage.  The hand is healing nicely but still hurts a bit when pulling in the clutch on my other bikes.

The bike has been picked up for repair by the insurance company so lets hope it comes back all nice and shiny  *smile*

Richard

« Reply #22 on: 14.12. 2008 19:07 »
Just a cautionary word but make sure you have an agreement with your insurance company to have the bike back in the case of an insurance write of, as I read on another forum of the a bike being a write off for what we would call repairable damage and selling the bike of before the owner new about it.
so get in touch with your insurance company and get that agreement and do not accept their first offer anyway (presuming that they do not agree to repair).
Hope all goes well
Richard

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Solihull, Near Birmingham England.
« Reply #23 on: 14.12. 2008 19:45 »
I know a bloke who's damaged car was sold and written off before he knew about it by his insurance company, they didn't even value some expensive extras. He won his court case when he sued them.
I would keep a close check on what they are doing.

I think this has finally persuaded me to fit the later TLS front brake which Ive got in my shed to my A10.

Glad you are recovering, OK

Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Harley Super Glide Custom
Yam XJR 1300

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 14.12. 2008 20:47 »
Nigel,

I am wondering, as I suppose several other members are, what shop will do the work? Are you directing the work or leaving it completely to your shop?

Richard L.

The bike has gone of for them to estimate the costs of the works required - its gone to 4th Dimension in Shepperton.  Since it is a classic bike they will also check parts availability at the same time. 

I will be calling them around the middle of next week to check on progress and their thoughts on the bike.  I am not letting this bike go anywhere even if it comes back to me unrepaired and I need to do the work myself.

I will also speak to the insurance company to explore the "what if" scenario if it cannot be repaired.

Thanks

Nigel

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 14.12. 2008 20:52 »
Dont worry, it can be repaired, you can even get the fork nacelle and trousers these days [SRM]. I hope the frame is not bent though.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 14.12. 2008 21:47 »
I'm pretty sure my insurance has an option for owners to repair their own bikes - I must check that, might have been a previous policy

All the best - Bill
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline ncpierce

• Moving Up
« Reply #27 on: 16.12. 2008 09:59 »
Dont worry, it can be repaired, you can even get the fork nacelle and trousers these days [SRM]. I hope the frame is not bent though.

From our initial inspection it looks like all of the force was taken by the front forks which pushed the front mudguard back into one of the frame downtubes.  Both of the frame tubes appear to be at the same angle although one of them now lacks a but of paint. Also the tank has not moved at all and the seat has only moved because the rear brackets have twisted slightly.

The speedo was temporarily frozen at between 5-10mph but this has now freed itself of which seems to be about the speed that I hit the car.

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 16.12. 2008 12:34 »
Nigel,

Do you have the frame dimension drawing as a reference? If not, it may be helpful to know that the steering head should be 27 degrees from vertical. If you have already tried to measure this, then you know as well as I that it is not that easy, as you have only the horizontal bottom tubes for reference. Then, even if you manage to get those to true level and throw an inclinometer on the head, there is the possibility that the frames varied a bit as they came from the factory.  I would like to know if you or your shop found a better way to measure this because I would like to checkup on my own frame.

Richard L.

Offline A10Boy

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 16.12. 2008 14:05 »
By the looks of it in the photos, the forks bending saved the frame from damage. In all probability, if the down tubes look straight, they probably are.
Regards

Andy

1958 Super Rocket
Plus
Yam XJR 1300