Author Topic: Gearbox bearings  (Read 738 times)

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
Gearbox bearings
« on: 12.03. 2013 19:59 »
I am putting a couple of new roller bearings in the box this Friday. I have got the sealed bearings and was wondering in passing could you run the large bearing with the shields left in?. Just curious. Also I have owned for 23 years and this is the first time I have replaced the kickstart end roller bearing *eek*

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gearbox bearings
« Reply #1 on: 12.03. 2013 20:50 »
They would be ball bearings.
I take out the seal/shield towards the inside to allow lubrication.

Trev.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.03. 2013 21:53 »
As per prior post the rubber dust shield can be left on the new primary side ball bearing in an attempt to keep oil INSIDE the box (and grit out), but I'd still retain the original BSA oil seal as well, the seal towards the inner side of the box  MUST be removed to allow gearbox oil to lube the bearing.

The kickstart end I've no experience of using sealed bearings there, but I can't see any advantage from having dust seals in place so I would remove both of them.

Now, as you no doubt have some symptoms of wear? There are 5 "important" bearings in the box (2 on main shaft, 2 on layshaft, plus sleeve gear bearing) do you think you might need to replace all of them?

There is some info. available on the forum on replacement of the layshaft bearings and sleeve bearings, also on aligning the drive side oil seal. Just ask away of you need help.

I have suffered from getting the sleeve gear bearings wrong, but at the 2nd attempt I seem to have got it right without the need to involve a machinest or buying expensive reamers etc.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline BSA500

• Resident Legend
  • Tonbridge,Kent,UK
« Reply #3 on: 12.03. 2013 22:20 »
Don't get wrong I have replaced these bearings many times(except the small ball bearing naughty me *smiley4*) with and without shields I was just curious. I am just doing the ball bearings as they are quick and I use her everyday so don't have the time to do the bushes (i have done the sleeve gear ones in under aa day and that seems fine)

1960 A7 (57 motor to SS spec)