Author Topic: Looking down the plug hole, USB endoscope, too much oil ?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
http://youtu.be/3qZ5suOD004
Hi fella's, the clip shows inside my cylinders using a eBay USB endoscope (eBay item number 200901736266) about £30.00 with postage
this was taken after going for a spin with the bike warm. I'm thinking there's to much oil down there. The bike doesn't seem to smoke that much when running, the compression is reading about 108 psi on the left cylinder and about 106 psi on the right cylinder, ok I think ?. So not the rings ?. When the bike has been for a run the exhaust rocker covers are very hot ( you can't touch them for more than a second or two) could it be valve guides allowing oil into cylinders and hot exhauste gases into the rocker space ?.
Cheers in advance, chicago
Preferred location: somewhere warm and dry.
Bike: 1953 plunger Longstroke engine.

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Hi Chicago
Snake scope - got one similar a few years back, really handy tool, I last used it to trace wiring under our bedroom floor.
Originally I bought it for work on my bike - for instance tappet placement, well it shows rear but not front due to the size of the lens, yours has much smaller lens than mine so is going to be a degree or three better
I'm thinking I'll flog mine and get one like yours with the smaller lens, also the handle on yours will make it easier to orientate, mine has a circular handle so you end up having to rotate it to get the picture up the right way.

Anyone thinking about buying one they do work just fine
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Very interesting. Love the music giving the sense of foreboding. Another path for oil into cylinders and gases into rocker chamber would be a leaky head gasket around the oilway holes. Though, would be odd to occur on both cylinders about equally. Maybe compression is a bit low for (I think) 8:1 pistons. Looking forward to other views, uh, I mean ideas (or, even, actual knowledgeable analysis).

Richard L.

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Hi Chicago
Snake scope - got one similar a few years back, really handy tool, I last used it to trace wiring under our bedroom floor.
Originally I bought it for work on my bike - for instance tappet placement, well it shows rear but not front due to the size of the lens, yours has much smaller lens than mine so is going to be a degree or three better
I'm thinking I'll flog mine and get one like yours with the smaller lens, also the handle on yours will make it easier to orientate, mine has a circular handle so you end up having to rotate it to get the picture up the right way.

Anyone thinking about buying one they do work just fine
hi bill, there not bad for the money, arrived quite quickly as we'll, took about 7 days from china to manchester, I think the head size is 7mm. You can different ones of eBay for about £12 but they're just a cable with the lens on the end, the reason I went for this one was it had a 1/12 CMOS chip which gives a better picture I think, you can buy little round clip on mirrors for them also which would let you look at the valves. All the best bill, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Very interesting. Love the music giving the sense of foreboding. Another path for oil into cylinders and gases into rocker chamber would be a leaky head gasket around the oilway holes. Though, would be odd to occur on both cylinders about equally. Maybe compression is a bit low for (I think) 8:1 pistons. Looking forward to other views, uh, I mean ideas (or, even, actual knowledgeable analysis).

Richard L.
Hi manosound, cheers fella, I'm thinking maybe the head might have to come back off again, not till after summer though, would it be okay to run it like that ?.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Like the idea of this gismo, especially for locating the pushrods and £30 isn't to bad ,was considering one from Aldi @£69.00 but this could be the way forward,  *eek*, Richard I don't think Chicago has done any work on the top end ,please correct me if I'm wrong, so surely 7.3ish compression isn't that bad? I'd have thought maybe a few memebers would be happy if there's recorded that without any effort. whats the concensus? It'll help me figure out when to start worrying about mine ,after all I still use a more  basic formula than you guys ie  suck ,squeeze ,bang ,blow as a method of engine diagnosis and  if my finger was pushed off the plug hole by the compression then it was okay.
Chicago, please be aware that too many  reference's to " plug holes" can result in Muskys computer being put at serious risk from spraying coffee !!  best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Hi, interesting device, the USB endoscope. Incredible what advanced tech marvels one can buy for next to nothing.

(But maybe the cylinder\oil discussion belongs in the engine tech board?)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
Indeed very useful piece of equipment. I use it a lot to inspect the innards of machines.
Did it came with the white coat? If so, could make you some money on the side as a doctor *smile*

My experience is though, that due to the brightness of the leds, the least bit of oily film shows up like it's bathing in oil.
In my opinion (for what it's worth) the exhaust fumes, whether it's on opening or closing the throttle, and also checking the oil level regularly give a better idea of oil consumption.
Haven't had a look on my A10's compression yet, but the figures don't seem to bad. I did a compression test on a 6 cylinder Austin Healey engine lately, and it showed (engine slightly worn) 90-95 psi
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Like the idea of this gismo, especially for locating the pushrods and £30 isn't to bad ,was considering one from Aldi @£69.00 but this could be the way forward,  *eek*, Richard I don't think Chicago has done any work on the top end ,please correct me if I'm wrong, so surely 7.3ish compression isn't that bad? I'd have thought maybe a few memebers would be happy if there's recorded that without any effort. whats the concensus? It'll help me figure out when to start worrying about mine ,after all I still use a more  basic formula than you guys ie  suck ,squeeze ,bang ,blow as a method of engine diagnosis and  if my finger was pushed off the plug hole by the compression then it was okay.
Chicago, please be aware that too many  reference's to " plug holes" can result in Muskys computer being put at serious risk from spraying coffee !!  best wishes BobH.
Hi there fella, yes they're not bad for £30' I was quite impressed. I have took the head/ barrels off to sort out a leaky head gasket and to replace a chipped oil ring on the left hand cylinder, I did want to change the pistons and rings complete but didn't have the money for new +60 pistons as they where very expensive. I was going to have a resleve done on the barrel and new standard size pistons later on as this would have worked out cheaper but still not got the money together yet.
Sorry muskrat if you are now cleaning coffee of your computer  *smile*.
Cheers bobH, all the best fella, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Hi, interesting device, the USB endoscope. Incredible what advanced tech marvels one can buy for next to nothing.

(But maybe the cylinder\oil discussion belongs in the engine tech board?)
Sorry a10gf, just thought with it having video that it might have been a good place to post, I think the admin fella said he's going to do different sections within the video sections at some point but he wanted to see how it goes first. Anyway all the best fella, Chicago

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
With 7.25:1 pistons, my A10's will read between 140 psi - 150 psi range.

When you did the compression test, did you hold the throttle open?

Regards,
Richard

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
worth looking on Amazon also, some even cheaper but as usual with Chinese stuff it pays to read the reviews as sometimes the translation is ifi, however Amazon do have good returns policy in my experience
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
With 7.25:1 pistons, my A10's will read between 140 psi - 150 psi range.

When you did the compression test, did you hold the throttle open?

Regards,
Richard
Hi there Richard, now you mention it, no. I did do the compression test at home at first with the throttle wide open but my cra**y compression tester didn't work. So I took my bike round to a friends house and he did it for me but left the throttle closed. I should have mention it sorry guys.

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
worth looking on Amazon also, some even cheaper but as usual with Chinese stuff it pays to read the reviews as sometimes the translation is ifi, however Amazon do have good returns policy in my experience
Cheers bill, always good if you can save some money on stuff, wish I would have looked at some reviews before I bought my compression tester (see my above post)
All the best bill, chicago

Offline chicago

• Valued Contributor
  • North west manchester,
Indeed very useful piece of equipment. I use it a lot to inspect the innards of machines.
Did it came with the white coat? If so, could make you some money on the side as a doctor *smile*

My experience is though, that due to the brightness of the leds, the least bit of oily film shows up like it's bathing in oil.
In my opinion (for what it's worth) the exhaust fumes, whether it's on opening or closing the throttle, and also checking the oil level regularly give a better idea of oil consumption.
Haven't had a look on my A10's compression yet, but the figures don't seem to bad. I did a compression test on a 6 cylinder Austin Healey engine lately, and it showed (engine slightly worn) 90-95 psi
sorry Morris, missed your reply, no whithe coat im afraid  *smile*. The bike doesn't seem to be smoking that bad, maybe a little white smoke on start up which clears after about 5-7 seconds. The oil level remains roughly the same (about a quarter of an inch lower) after small trips totalling about 200 miles. I think most of which has come out of the breather pipe. It does miss on the left hand plug for about 3seconds when first started which I put down to running too rich, after 3 seconds starts running on both plugs.
All the best Morris, Chicago.