Author Topic: Accurate drawing, expd'd diagram or photo of front/rear spindles for '49-'50 A7  (Read 642 times)

Offline Tedzosbsa

• Active
Hi,

I'm rebuilding the wheels on my '49/Franken-'50 A7 Rigid and I've let my memory, poor storage system and lack of photographic initiative thwart me yet again!
I've identified my front and rear axels/spindles however I'm not sure which spindle sleeve is belonging to which wheel and before I break out the grease and start pressing bearings I'd like to make sure.

(For the record, I do own the service manuals, numerous books, service sheets, arcane drawings and some random emails on this topic but none of them fill me with confidence about getting it right the first go-round.)

1st spindle sleeve (which I assume is front-?... because it's threaded at one end and would appear to go through the front brake cover plate)
Overall Length = 4 15/16"
Distance Between Bearing Shoulders = 2"
Threaded End Length from Bearing Shoulder = 1 1/8"  7/16" threaded
End Bare/Threaded/Bare from Bearing Shoulder = 1 13/16" inner bare section 7/8", threaded section 7/16", outer bare section 15/32"

2nd spindle sleeve
Overall Length = 3 1/2"
Length Between Bearing Shoulders = 2 3/16"
Longer Outer Length = 25/32"
Shorter Outer Length = 1/2"

Enclosing a picture of these fellows side by side to make all that somewhat intelligible.

If someone could help me identify front/back and best guesses as to direction these should lay on the spindles I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Tedzo

Offline bikerjohndavies

• John Davies, Bath, UK
  • Valued Contributor
  • 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash
Have a look on the Draganfly web site, they have exploded diagrams of the front wheel (Number 3) and the rear wheel (number 11). You can see the spacers there. Following link should take you to the correct page.

http://draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/912-wheels
1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Offtopic (but related)
The Draganfly web site, seems there's some really excellent quality scans\parts lists there, anyone wants to make a collection of the A7\A10 related stuff there and post in BSA related Links & Service Literature? (may look like free advertisement, but very useful stuff, example).

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Tedzosbsa

• Active
Nice!  Nothin' like waking up to a solution!!

John, appreciate the link, that helps immensely!

I may take up the challenge by A10gf to get a repository of Dragonfly's diagrams going, just consulting my legal team  *smile*

Cheers,
Tedzo

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
Nice to read the forum is of help. And welcome to the forum btw, a presentation in Bikes, Pictures & Members is always appreciated.

Indeed bikerjohndavies provided excellent info by posting that link. As for the legal side of posting, links are good, copying any scans etc and republishing not. So we're talking links here.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"