Author Topic: Oil pump identification  (Read 1175 times)

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
Oil pump identification
« on: 08.04. 2013 17:18 »
I have an early 1954 A10 swinging arm ( engine 0970 ) I want to change the oil pump for the normal reasons, cannot afford SRM so I am going for an exchange unit from UK BSA spares people. They want the old pump up front and will send out a recon unit. I was going to buy an old one from a jumble and send it in lieu of mine as I don't want the bike off the road.
1/  Are all swinging arm pumps the same.
2/  Did the plunger pump also fit.
3/  Any special tools required,
Any normal good advice would be nice. Enjoy the sunshine.
Colin

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Oil pump identification
« Reply #1 on: 08.04. 2013 18:30 »
G'day Colin, I'm not 100% sure of the long strokes but the A7/10 pumps are same. The only difference is the later ones with the tacho drive, but they will fit as well.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, 88 FXST .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 08.04. 2013 19:17 »
I have an early 1954 A10 swinging arm ( engine 0970 ) I want to change the oil pump for the normal reasons, cannot afford SRM...

I needed a new pump for my 55GF. SRM was rather expensive so I bought a high capacity steel pump from John (Bantam) Phelan for about half the price of SRM's one. The pump is slightly bigger than the original so I had to file away a small amount of metal from the inner timing cover. The pump works well; at least for the 100 miles I've done since completion!

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.04. 2013 22:01 »
All pumps are the same bodywise but the gear form changed somewhere along the line. I suspect after about 1956.

Trev.

Offline A10 JWO

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 09.04. 2013 16:46 »
Neil did the pump sort out your wet sumping, any contact details for Bantam John.

Cheers Colin

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.04. 2013 22:25 »
Neil did the pump sort out your wet sumping, any contact details for Bantam John.

Cheers Colin

Wet sumping was not my problem; my pump was gummed up after being unused for 38 years. I stupidly stripped it without marking the gear meshing and when I reassembled it it would not revolve nicely. Also the Mazak material the pump is made of was looking tired.

John Phelan does not have a web site.
His address is:
18 Bowshaw
Dronfield
Sheffield
S18 6GB
Tel/Fax: 01246 290021

Worth a visit: like a motorbike shop in the 1960's!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 10.04. 2013 10:32 »
I did that with both my bikes (think I'd learn eh) I tried a few combinations and picked the least tight one put the pump together and both have worked fine since despite being tight to turn by hand.
I could be wrong but I suspect the manufacturer of these piumps ( did BSA make them or buy them) would not have spent a lot of time matching gears to gears to pump body, probably just built up spun round to bed in until they were free, flushed through and used.

I would not worry about fitting a pump that was tight to turn by hand, it will be running in oil, will bed in just fine ( much maligned soft metal body remember) and provided you change the oil soon after fitting (as you do) it'l be good.

Now shoot me down fella's, I like to buck the trend now and then
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.04. 2013 12:44 »
...my pump was gummed up after being unused for 38 years. I stupidly stripped it without marking the gear meshing and when I reassembled it it would not revolve nicely. Also the Mazak material the pump is made of was looking tired.

I also suspected that while removing the pump, which was ceased with gunge and required leverage while rotating the crankshaft I may have distorted the body.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 10.04. 2013 12:46 »

Cheers Colin

Wet sumping was not my problem; my pump was gummed up after being unused for 38 years. I stupidly stripped it without marking the gear meshing and when I reassembled it it would not revolve nicely. Also the Mazak material the pump is made of was looking tired.

John Phelan does not have a web site.
His address is:
18 Bowshaw
Dronfield
Sheffield
S18 6GB
Tel/Fax: 01246 290021

Worth a visit: like a motorbike shop in the 1960's!

John Phelans pump has a tacho drive slot.