Author Topic: Strange noises? Video!!!  (Read 1146 times)

Online roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
Strange noises? Video!!!
« on: 15.07. 2013 14:29 »
Hello!

I made a very succesful ride of ca. 150 km yesterday, listening all the time for strange noises. Lots of noises, but are they anything to worry about? I have made a very short video of the bike idling, first with ambient sound, and later where i hold a screwdriver between the camera and some different places on the engine. What do you chaps make of it? More rumble, grinding or rattle than should be tolerated?

It's on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTENfWaXrA

Otto in Denmark
Otto in Denmark

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
Re: Strange noises? Video!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16.07. 2013 11:19 »
Hey Otto, Im in Aus, so I held a screwdriver to my computer screen all over your engine, I reckon it sounds pretty good, alloy heads seem to sound more rattly than iron. Idling also has more varied noises than running at reasonable load, when you can hear better for things like big ends, mains, pistons etc. gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 16.07. 2013 20:43 »
Hey Otto, Im in Aus, so I held a screwdriver to my computer screen all over your engine,

hey I know your joking - right ----------------right *smiley4* *smiley4* *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 16.07. 2013 21:42 »
G'day Otto, as gav said alloy heads do seem to amplify noises. Double check your valve clearances, crank end float and primary chain tension.Go out to the cloths line and pinch a few (lots) wood pegs. Lightly wedge them in the fins of both the head and barrels, two each fin each side. Now have a listen.
I thought I could hear primary noise over all the normal clatter.
Cheers.
Don't buy a used monitor of Gav. *eek*
Gav buy a stethascope, not as damaging to the screen. *doh*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #4 on: 16.07. 2013 21:45 »
For that purpose I mounted a radio. If I hear a noise I turn the volume up a notch *smile*
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #5 on: 17.07. 2013 08:54 »
Thanks chaps!

I assembled the engine last year, after a two year lay-up after a crash (not too bad, but cosmetically damaging for the bike). The roller bearing outer cage sat very loose in the case, but I bodged it in place, with punch marks and loctite. It had no play, but could be pushed out with ease. The timing side bush was fine. I spent many attempts to get the end play correct, and do not doubt it at this point. At speed there is no weird noises, and the rockers emit a monotonous zizzle. But at idle I might hear something like piston slap, though they were fine, and only have about 4000 miles on them, fitted in freshly bored barrels. I will try the peg trick, if I can find enough wooden ones :) Maybe also a round of tightening everything... Maybe I should try to make a video at speed.

Otto in DK
Otto in Denmark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #6 on: 17.07. 2013 09:48 »
The bearing will loosen when the motor warms up and could spin making it worse. Could be the "primary" noise I heard.
Cheers

'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #7 on: 17.07. 2013 13:47 »
Yes, but the bike is much more noisy from cold, and is healthy sounding on the road...
Otto in Denmark

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #8 on: 17.07. 2013 14:35 »
Ear plugs it is then, and maybe thicker oil. *grins*
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online roadrocket

• A's Good Friend
  • www.roadrocket.dk
« Reply #9 on: 24.07. 2013 16:00 »
Hello

Just a quick follow-up: I checked primary chain tension, and noticed it was VERY slack, and then took the primary cover off. Oops! The clutch was so far back, that the chain hit the case once in a while. I have now taken two links out, and no more clonks. Also the sliding plate was loose, and probably gave some clatter.

Otto in Denmark