Author Topic: Sprung saddles  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
Sprung saddles
« on: 06.05. 2015 21:40 »
And I should add:

Graybeard: I've been through the picture thread and there are some beautiful bikes there, but I think I'm loving yours the best! There's something about those sprung saddles.

Are they comfortable / is there any reason not to get one (and can you even get them)? From my utterly naive newbie point of view, all I can say is that I think they look the b...ocks!

Cheers

Sam

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sprung saddles
« Reply #1 on: 06.05. 2015 22:41 »
Sam,
Those saddles are readily available new.
I also think the single saddle looks great but I have to admit that mine is horribly uncomfortable for long rides. There is a ridge of metal at the back that digs in to my backside. I improved the situation by adding extra padding under the cover but it is still literally a pain in the idiot!  *sad2*
I think part of the problem is that the seat height is too low for the footrests so my bottom is pushed back onto that ridge, (I'm not particularly tall). Today I lowered the footpegs by an inch to try and get a better position; I haven't had a chance to road test yet. I've actually ordered a Bobber style saddle that will have no spring frame under the padding; if that is no help I may have to restore my original dual seat which sits quite a bit higher, (and makes the bike look more modern).
I'll let you know how I get on.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 07.05. 2015 11:52 »
They are nice comfortable seats. My plunger is my most comfortable bike. It would be hard to make it look right on a swing arm frame but it can be done.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 11.05. 2015 16:29 »
Thanks gents

Graybeard I'd love to see a picture of your bike with the bobber style seat on it. I look forward to seeing that.

I am also not the tallest so I'll have to think about what works out best for me. All part of the fun!

Cheers

Sam

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 12.05. 2015 16:46 »
Sam,
I've been away on the A10 for a long weekend. I went to the Cheshire BSAOC camp*, then to my sons house in North Wales. I drove home today. I've covered 250 UK miles, (which, by the way are twice as long as Aussie miles) since Friday morning. Lowering the footpegs by an inch seems to have improved saddle comfort but I'm still going to see what the bobber saddle is like; I'll show you when I've figured out how to mount it.

*See my post Cheshire Camp
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 12.05. 2015 18:58 »
I have just recently fitted a Lycett sprung dual seat, which I had reupholstered by a chap in Wisbeach, he made quite a good job of it,  I've been out on it a couple of times and it seems very comfortable BTW my bike is a 1957 A10 plunger and at my age I need a bit more comfort.

TTJohn

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.06. 2015 15:55 »
Graybeard I'd love to see a picture of your bike with the bobber style seat on it. I look forward to seeing that.

Sam,
I've fitted the new Bobber style saddle. It's slightly higher but much more comfortable.

Here is a link to a Google+ album to see pictures. Please let me know if you are unable to see the images. I've added some captions.

https://plus.google.com/114671311614255068306/posts/YQUJm9TFBt1
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.06. 2015 19:28 »

Looks ok, but the springs look a bit long and stressed out- hope they don't break, like their mount needs to be further forward but then they'd need to be shorter *conf* but you're the one riding... *smile*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.06. 2015 19:53 »
...the springs look a bit long and stressed out...
I'm not very happy with the springs; in fact I've been out in the shed making a better arrangement for them. The problem is the saddle studs are not in the right place for the springs. Also the angles are awkward. I made a couple of strips of stainless just as a start. They work but I need a better arrangement.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 11.06. 2015 22:30 »

studs are not in the right place for the springs. Also the angles are awkward.

yeah, could see that...I can't see you having a win with those springs, any chance you can swap them, at least with shorter, is possible to pack them up...?

I'm still messing with mine too, but it's a totally home made jobbie...is a bit low at the front- I changed the springs to scissor/clothespeg *eek*/ types, and find them surprisingly good....but only 2"high, though maybe higher ones would be longer and softer.
  I personally think that 'barrel/beehive' shape springs would be better than the parrallel side type that I had (different diameters giving progressive springing)
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sam C

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 12.06. 2015 11:19 »
Loving it Graybeard!

Fettling is all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned. I really like the look of the bobber saddle and once you sort out the teething troubles it's going to be perfect.

I'm finding it funny how, as I look at more and more bikes, it's the details that really start to matter to me now. To begin with all I could say was 'that bike looks cool' without really being able to define why or how. But it's things like the bigger round mirror (at least than mine which is small and rectangular and I suspect not enormously helpful), the chrome rack (apologies if that's not the right term) and the chrome horn (I have one of those to fit and that's settled it for me as to where to put it). The all round look is just 'right' without being 'over chromed' as some modern bikes that are meant to look 'retro' end up coming across. All about balance in my mind.

I agree with you that the springs seem to need sorting out somehow and seem sort of 'over stressed'. But, as I say, if there was nothing left to do it would be boring. I've had a 1972 Triumph GT6 for eight years and there has never been a time when I considered it 'completely finished'. I probably never will: which I'm very happy about ;)

Good work.

Looking forward to calling on you all for help once I progress to 'the big bike' post Direct Access tests in July. In the mean time I'm too embarassed of my learner bike to talk about it on here. It cost £350 and it's chinese... that's all I'm saying. It'll be gone soon I promise!

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 12.06. 2015 12:12 »
Loving it Graybeard!
Thank you!
Fettling is all part of the fun as far as I'm concerned. I really like the look of the bobber saddle and once you sort out the teething troubles it's going to be perfect.
Yes, I think so.
...it's things like the bigger round mirror (at least than mine which is small and rectangular and I suspect not enormously helpful),
When I bought that mirror it had a flat mirror. The flat mirror was not very good; bit like looking through a keyhole, so I bought a convex replacement mirror. The mirror now is very good; I get a much wider view of whats behind me.
the chrome rack (apologies if that's not the right term)
I got a pile of old luggage racks for £10 from a chap on Ebay. Most of them were in poor condition and no good for my bike. I've got rid of the others but that one fits really well. I had to make a couple of stainless bands to locate on the top plunger bolts. I prefer the machine naked so I only fit the rack and panniers during the summer BSAOC camping season.
and the chrome horn (I have one of those to fit and that's settled it for me as to where to put it).
I got the horn bezel replated. I referred to contemporary pictures to get the location, mostly in the Roy Bacon book of the BSA Twins.
The all round look is just 'right' without being 'over chromed' as some modern bikes that are meant to look 'retro' end up coming across. All about balance in my mind.
I am very happy about your comments; that is just the look I wanted
I agree with you that the springs seem to need sorting out somehow and seem sort of 'over stressed'. But, as I say, if there was nothing left to do it would be boring. I've had a 1972 Triumph GT6 for eight years and there has never been a time when I considered it 'completely finished'. I probably never will: which I'm very happy about ;)
Good work.
I enjoy fettling things. I don't have a very well equipped workshop but it's amazing what you can do with basic tools; drills, hacksaw, angle grinder, bench grinder, files, oh and a good vice of course!
Looking forward to calling on you all for help once I progress to 'the big bike' post Direct Access tests in July.
Others here have a wider arcane knowledge of technical stuff but if I can help with anything I will try.
In the mean time I'm too embarassed of my learner bike to talk about it on here. It cost £350 and it's chinese... that's all I'm saying. It'll be gone soon I promise!
My son has bought a Chinese 125cc. It looks quite decent; a Honda ripoff. He bought it unregistered, as that made it much cheaper. He hasn't passed his tests yet.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK