Author Topic: anybody used one of these??  (Read 2163 times)

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
anybody used one of these??
« on: 10.04. 2013 12:53 »

http://www.jeperformance.biz/runintro12.htm

found this on another site...the one advantage...uses very little electricity...which is the one reason i have always had my maggys rebuilt..  dont think  i have enough confidence in my E3L to run lights and spark
  also the "cluster spark...??"   fires 3? times...  programable advance...

did have some corespondence...he reckons it will run an old bsa twin just fine...

its either this or adapt a denso alternator.. to the outer end of my dynamo...like the old sportster group advocates...

i have always had good luck with maggys...the cost is a fair bit less than a maggy rewind...  and rewinders seem to be getting a thin on the ground...the last one i had done...took about 4 months...  might have to make up some sort of housing..

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
Re: anybody used one of these??
« Reply #1 on: 10.04. 2013 22:03 »

heres a bit  more info...install intructions and ???

http://www.jeperformance.biz/

according to the hype...can get 16 hours running out of dry cells...??

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 11.04. 2013 10:37 »
That looks like a niffty setup and cost is OK. Thanks for posting.
The one I'd really like to adapt to our A7/10's is the Dynotek 2000 2Ki  http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/products/harley_davidson/dyna_2ki/
I put one on a HD and programed it with the wife's laptop. Wow did it GO.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 11.04. 2013 11:07 »

dyna 2000....put one of those in my e-glide early last year.... 1976 model

like it says...install...maybe an hour...including putting the tools away..
   timing..just find the timing mark and turn the plate till the led comes on...tighten screws...put the cover on and forget it for...5 years...??  mine came with the "hotter? " coil...
  incredible difference...
 didnt need no stinkin laptop...
would be easy enough to adapt..to bsa    ....just cut a 180 degree slot in that timing cup...

i do have one problem.  for kickstarting...have to leave the ign off...while pedalling up to compression...  otherwise..it will pop that cylinder off...

need that as  the leccie start isnt working so well...maybe the relay..??  but my wife doesnt ride it much anymore...so not that important...i have replaced the relay twice now ...since the bike was new...gettin a bit fed up with it...
  the diff between my e-glide and the a10... a big alternator and a wimpy E3L... thats why the jesperson or what looked so good...
  draws .o5 or .5 of an amp?? 

to get a reliable and sufficient juice out my a10... i was thinking of using a denso alternator off a kobatah tractor...somehow fixing to a dynamo case...??  or??   the ironhead sportster groups have done a few on the ends of prestolite generators..maybe easier as the armature is centered on a prestolite

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 11.04. 2013 11:39 »
Shuswapkev, maybe better to write in a way that is easier to read and understand.
Thanks
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 11.04. 2013 12:52 »
Fitted about a dozen or so ( well assisted in the fitting )
I can confirm that you can get a full weekend of vintage motocross out of a single charge on a T 100
We used 4 C sized cells.
Never fitted one to a pre unit.
Make up a plate to go under the cush drive nut that runs close to the eddge of the case
Put two bolts the same weight as the magnet & the magnet 120 deg apart  ( for balance ) on the flange.
The magnet needs to be able to move radially.
mount the pick up on the cases, it needs t be able to move circumfranciallly .
The control unit , amplifier & batteries ( if you need them ) can be mounted inside the old magneto body with the HT lead coming out of the original spot.
If the other wires are carefully fitted through the bottom of the maggy case it will be hard to spot from a distance.

You can then make degree marks on the flange so you can strobe the motor. Note, no numbers, just 1 deg marks.
Moving the magnet in or out will change the advance curve, rotating the pick up will alter the firing position.
Do not connect it to a digital tacho as the unit throws "cluster" spark packages which at low revs will give you really funny readings.
On the blue smokes they ran fine but on the 4 strokers we had to go up to much bigger jets.

Mike also tore all of the splines off his mainshaft , twice. note bike is geared down for vintage MX
It is amazing how much extra grunt you get when the pot actuallly fires each & every time without fail
You also get a lot more heat so might need to run slightly larger piston clearences.
Before he closed his company down & went bush we were looking at doing a drop in conversion unit for unit construction engines.
Just about all of the local vintage MX racers ( Heaven VMX) have fitted them but these motors are far from standard & all run big clearences to start with.

Modern technology.
I posted about these the other day on Britbike.
A solid state amplifier + timing module + Hall effecct trigger.
None of it "new" technology, just no one though of doing it this way before.
Oddly enough there are still new "electronic ignitions" hitting the market that are still nothing more than complicated switches for turning on & off a very inefficient heater called a coil.
And yes they are good for 40,000 rpm

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #6 on: 11.04. 2013 13:42 »
 40 000 rpm  *ex* that will cover me  *eek*.
Very interesting Trevor. Does moving the magnet give you a different curve or just move when it starts and stops?
With the 2Ki and a computer the curve can be made like a set of steps or a rollercoaster.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 12.04. 2013 02:44 »

i did read your post...another site...gettin a spark without a lot of electricity... sounds like what i need...

soooo

you reckon i could ride my a10 from brisbane to sydney on 4 c cells...!!! 
   really...  well i would put another 4 in my pocket  JIC

the other ignitions may be wonderful...but i just dont see how i can trust the outputt of an  E3L ...as most of my getting out is well after dark...i like headlights all the time.. day and night... going to try an HID globe (thing?)...for a pilot light....seems bright...gave me pink and yellow balloons floating in front of my eyes on its first go...
 i do keep another charged battery in my matchy tool box ...JIC 

the advance??...think i need in the range of 35 degrees on this old ironhead...or does the greater effiency move the mark ahead??

this sounds like a winner...see how much is in the cookie jar...get one on its way...

an thoughts on using the magneto gears ...or do you reckon too much slop thru the gears...  might be able to get that magnet mount on behind the cush drive...??? ava look...

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #8 on: 12.04. 2013 11:41 »
40 000 rpm  *ex* that will cover me  *eek*.
Very interesting Trevor. Does moving the magnet give you a different curve or just move when it starts and stops?
With the 2Ki and a computer the curve can be made like a set of steps or a rollercoaster.
Cheers

The closer the magnet to the pick up the steeper the curve.
Mike had to do a fair bit of fiddleing to get things working properly.
AFAIK the advance "curve" is a fairly straight line.
Mike blew up one tacho so he bought a very expensive digital strobe with inbuilt tacho.
That is how we found out about the cluster spark as we could not get a proper reading below 1800 rpm because the expensive unit picked up each spike in the cluster where as the cheapie was not sensative enough and saw the cluster as a single spark down to around 800 - 1000 rpm, when it went to toast.
Remember the unit was designed for model aircraft so initialy had 3 setting, idle , wfo & cruise.
The bloke who designed it is not interested in any developement for any use other than in models so is not very informative and JE are not much better, they just want to flog them.
If you were at Walllerawang, the blue Mettise/ Triumph that only stayed till the run around Bathurst was Mike, He had a problem back at the factory so had to go back.
The history is he got the frame, then a motor, then had the motor tweaked but it kept blowing the power transister out of the side on the Boyers.
Boyer sold him a  special metal cased race unit along with a matched dual fire coil which also blew out.
So he stumbled upon these units before JE was doing them you had to get them from the UK @ £ 450 and then the "special" pick up units from some one else in the USA @ another $ 200.
He fitted them then as a 2nd year novice cleaned up every thing he went in till he stripped the main shaft.
Replace the entire box with a Quaife ( I think ) 3 speed drag box that was supposed to be extra strong and with that fitted cleaned up his 3rd season.
Then he let his vanquished in on the secret & fitted them to about 20ish bikes.
I was not doing much so ended up spending a lot of time assisting.
He regeared the bike to have a shot at Histeric Road racing but ended up burning big holes in both pistons.
In this trim he took the bike on a road trip & burned another hole so out for a dyno run to find the engine that was running  little rich with the Boyers was running a lot lean with the Runtronics and quite a bit hotter to boot which is how we came up with upping the mains 2 sizes.
I was his sholder to lean on & ear to whisper in as he & I had done a lot of work putting a couple of B44's together previously when Pommie Iron was a mystery to him.
Should I ever get the round barrel B44 happening there is Runtronics with its number on it.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #9 on: 12.04. 2013 11:55 »

i did read your post...another site...gettin a spark without a lot of electricity... sounds like what i need...

soooo
you reckon i could ride my a10 from brisbane to sydney on 4 c cells...!!! 
   really...  well i would put another 4 in my pocket  JIC

Mike got 6 hours on the road with a single charge.
Down side is you get 5 hrs 55 min on full power then a few misses followed by a lot of pushing.
He did a LED voltage checker which was fitted to the bars as he was not sure how long they would run, but after a few meets disconnected it as he never needed a recharge.
The entire unit including the ignition spark draws around 400 to 500 mA so  5 NiCds and a couple of diodes hooked up to the bikes battery should see you fine.

As for hooking it up to the maggy drive well you are doubling any wear errors and fitting it on a smaller base circle so making life hard for your self
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 12.04. 2013 12:01 »
Mmmm pink and yellow balloons... maybe the mushies mate  *eek*

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 14.04. 2013 05:11 »

trevor
  start with...thanks heaps for the help so far..

i will contact the supplier and see how i go...gettin one.. the boyers and others ...i have used ,m and they work well...but they still require a coil that my leetle dynamo would struggle to pump up...and any voltage drop..and all the fun is over...

as far as getting the timing circle on the crankshaft..clutch side..looks to me to be a bit of a mission..
only splines are under the compensator sleeve..

may see if i can get one of those drill bits that (purportedly?) will drill thru a file...and drill 3 or 4 holes to be able to rivet the ally plate to that???  (the thrust face)
 not much room in between the chain tensioner to fix the pickup either...???

maybe on the timing side..i do have a couple of seriously damaged timing covers that may be modified... they are a bit too wrecked to use on anything even fairly nice...  maybe find a smashed outer primary...  cut ,n weld a timing area into that..and fix the ally circle on the end of the compensator..??
i have a bloke here that casts aluminium and seems to enjoy a challenge...

to fix to the magneto opening..i would make up a distributor sorta thing...with whatever space is left under the carby.. could maybe substitute his pickup for a harley one...thats only a 2 inch diameter

i do have a BTH maggy that when i bought..was assured to be "real good"  ??  may very welll be ..but if not...i would expect a rebuild to take 3-5 months... and even if it is  "real good" it is still 50 -60 years old...
if this new unit is anywhere near as good as it has been presented...  should be worth the trouble...

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 14.04. 2013 07:11 »
Shuswapkev, i assume you've seen the modern all electronic bth mags? Pricy, but apart from some quality issues with the timing related parts mine works great..no batteries reqd, and no points or advance retard to go wrong.
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #13 on: 14.04. 2013 22:38 »

kiwigf

the bth reincarnation looks great... i would go for that...in a heartbeat...except for the price..which is reason why it looks so good...it just is great  but i think around a $1000...?? a big price...but if i had a complete bike, all i would have to work out..is where i could get the money from...
  most of my problem is that i didnt start out with a bike... all i had was a rusty crankshaft and set of blown out cases...a bucket of daggy fork parts...and i started collecting from there...ebay and ???

once all going and i can see a complete useable motorcy...then not hard to justify the "la$t" part that puts the shine on the pie...
up till then having to grind all parts down to fit a non existent budget...  registered and riding ..i reckon i can get there for under $3500...the new stuff i have to buy... i am doing all the engineering...painting..whatevers..all my bikes have be put together like this...suits me right down to the ground...

i have an original bth...but if it has done its 60 years..then when all done and dusted.. a 3-5 month wait for it to come back...
i have replaced points ignitions with electronic, and everytime the system went far beyond ..just being an ignition.. and if the jespersonn is what it says it is... and does pretty close to...what it says..  esp as its the only one that can run with next to no electrical supply... my dynamos have given good service...but they just dont put out much...
 see how we go...  so far looks like this system...under $300.00??

Offline gavinoz

• A's Good Friend
  • Dogs & Sheep hate smokers worse than Hondas.
« Reply #14 on: 14.04. 2013 23:17 »
Hi shu

Your quote "i would make up a distributor sorta thing", on Australian Ebay there is a

"BSA distributer Points conversion BSA M20 M21 from magneto"

Maybe a handy guy like you could probably make it for twin cylinders?

its in Brisbane

current bid Au$ 0.99c

Cheers, gav
Rigid A7S, 57 A10 in pieces
Australia