Author Topic: std a10 g/box layshaft bushes.  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
std a10 g/box layshaft bushes.
« on: 12.07. 2013 11:38 »
Hi guys , been knee deep in A10 boxes lately and my mate has finally got everything ready to rebuild one for him but need a bit of advice re  the bushes for the layshaft . Bruce has located from an elderly ex racer a second hand serviceable layshaft and 2 bushes that appear to be a good fit for it.,however,they are home made and look original but don't have the scroll in the "tophat " bush would this bee serviceable as is ? or as a scroll would be beyond my limited engineering tools would a single cut in line with the oil hway hole be ok, sure you can help me with this best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: std a10 g/box layshaft bushes.
« Reply #1 on: 12.07. 2013 15:25 »
HI Bob,
I have used a straight groove as you describe with no issues
I have seen a spiral done buy hand using a dremel type tool, mark it out with an indelable marker first
Modern oil is so much better than what was around 60 odd years ago and so the importance of the scrolls is less
(in my opinion)

HTH
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 12.07. 2013 18:59 »
My blind bush was made by our local shop to fit the layshaft, pretty sure there is no scroll in it, as the feed hole is on the top I'd assume gravity is enough, it has been for the last 12 years any way, if it doesn't last as long as the original I let you know *smiley4*
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #3 on: 15.07. 2013 10:42 »
Thanks John and Bill , thats what i was hoping would be the case . Has with these things of ours ,nothing is stright forward, having looked at the layshafts I now need some more help, so here goes, the layshafts have had the speedo scroll removed , looks like it was pinned in place has there is a hole right through has i've got knackered shafts with the scroll in situ and the pin looks to be preened over ,I tried to drill it but no luck so any help ideas greatfully received,  regards BobH
United Kingdom

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 15.07. 2013 12:45 »

That is one very hard pin that holds the speedo screw in place, I think I ground mine down flush and drifted it out, as I recall I had a job finding a replacement
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #5 on: 15.07. 2013 13:05 »
Bill ,yeah, that's about what I've found ,centre punched it then tried to drill out the preened over bit but no joy . Drills burning out whilst only just getting into it  then tried drifting but so far no movement. what diameter is it ,any idea, thanks BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 15.07. 2013 22:14 »
I think that the pin is 1/8" diameter.
I replace them with a roll pin.

Trev.

Offline shuswapkev

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 25.07. 2013 11:00 »

the hard pins...
 they can be drilled..with a masonry bit 
 you need a green grinding wheel that will cut carbide..  sharpen it nice..and what a surprise..

I grabbed a rusty 3/8 $3.00 bit out of my toolbox...sharpened the bottom cutting edges..not the sides.. (was just experimenting)
 and yeah...drilled a very neat 3/8 hole thru an old file... about the same speed as drilling mild steel...

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #8 on: 25.07. 2013 12:00 »
Good tip shuswapkev, I've been using masonry bits like that for drilling brake discs for 30 years. Better at high speed and with lube.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #9 on: 25.07. 2013 12:10 »
Thanks for that ,I'll store that info and I'm sure it'll be helpful , iwas thinking I had just bought crap drill bits .However I got an old engineers punch and ground the diameter down and bingo got the pin out ,only another 2 to do . however the speedo scroll is in quite firmly in, ideas please for removal without damage ,as usual I'd be grateful for any help has I have never done this job before regards BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #10 on: 26.07. 2013 10:58 »
Morning everyone any ideas re this question on the scroll, as I really would like to sort it this weekend and then I can start to rebuild the box thanks BobH.
United Kingdom

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 27.07. 2013 00:43 »
Bob,
             It's many years since I have done this job but I think that at the time I held the drive in the vice in a set of soft jaws (aluminium) and worked and tapped the shaft off.

Trev.

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #12 on: 29.07. 2013 10:42 »
Thanks Trev and everyone else that job now done successfully and swapped to new shaft ,can now start rebulding the box , so prob more help required regards BobH
United Kingdom