Author Topic: Oil leak/gush!  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Tukig

• Moving Up
Oil leak/gush!
« on: 23.04. 2013 13:34 »
Hi All,
Just returned from a short ride and could not fail to notice oil every where and a pool of oil under the bike. It was coming in a steady stream from the dynamo/timing chest junction at tickover. The oil tank had become 2/3 empty. The bike has an end feed conversion. I can only think this has been caused by a timing cover gasket failure. This would be a pleasant and simple fix. Does anyone out there have any other suggestions? If it helps oil return in the tank was good.

Thank you

Gary

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
Re: Oil leak/gush!
« Reply #1 on: 23.04. 2013 13:58 »
Hi Gary, I've had the SRM conversion so if yours is the same could just be the gasket but sounds a lot of oil ,I'd check the pump for tightness may just have loosened off a bit, next is the inset neoprene washer fitted in the outer timing case where the quill on the crank picks up the oilfeed ,if its damaged or worn maybe it could cause that amount of oil, i've always been very careful when replacing the cover and just 2 weeks ago adjusted the dynamo and then found no new gasket and had to replace it "as was" but it didn't leak so that would make  me even more likely to look deeper, best of luck BobH
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom

Offline Tukig

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 23.04. 2013 14:18 »
Ta very much, Will check all those things. Gasket was trashed on removal so new one (better make it two!) about to be ordered.

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
Re:Oil leak/gush! (timing cover)
« Reply #3 on: 23.04. 2013 17:26 »
For all members, I have used Three Bond 1104 liquid gasket on the timing cover, (now superseded by 1194) instead of a paper gasket, since 1995, and never had any leaks non at all.  If Three Bond is not available on your side of the pond, I am pretty sure Permatex also makes a product that will work.  After using this gasket maker I will never use a paper gasket again, they are a royal pain.  The Three Bond ,when re-doing the cover, takes a bit of cleaning and fiddling, just make sure not to gouge the aluminum when cleaning off the old, makes a source for a  leak...

RGS-BILL  U. S. of A.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline Dunney

• Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 30.04. 2013 15:56 »
Did you check to see if the sump had overfilled itself just in case there was a problem with the pump getting the oil back to the tank like what I recently suffered?

Do you have an inline filter on the return that could be restricting the return to the tank?

Dunney
Toujours a font

Offline Rgs-Bill

• A's Good Friend
  • Rocket Gold Star-Bill - U S of A -- N.W. Corner
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #5 on: 30.04. 2013 17:24 »
Scavenge side of my oil pump has always worked well, about 1/3 more (give or take) than the oil volume of the feed side is.  I always drain the sump if it sits without running for 14 days or more, I got tired of cleaning up the concrete, when the crankcase vent spews it all over the place.  I always, (every time I start it) make sure the scavenge return is returning oil to the tank.  Besides all that extra oil in the sump, can not be good for the crank shaft having to fight its way through the extra oil. I would think that would be quite a strain on the crank, and timing side white metal bush.  No filter in the return side, rely on the gauzes, and 1000 mile oil changes, plus have the really good oil which used to be made by (KENDALL) they sold the original GREEN NON or almost non detergent oil to a company called Brad Penn, they call it a racing oil, it is so low in detergents, it allows the sludge trap to work as it was designed. $ 5.00 bucks US per quart, I buy it by the 12 quart case and glad to get it.  It still has 14 to 15 Parts Per Million of the anti scuff zinc for the cam and cam followers, all other manufacturers have reduced this to under 9 PPM because it fouls the catalytic converters in modern cars.
U S of A
N.W. Corner, Seattle 
1962 RGS
78 YEARS OLD
Still Kick Starting My Motor (9 TO 1)
Although getting a bit tougher to do ! !

Offline mayes

• Moving Up
« Reply #6 on: 30.04. 2013 18:25 »
As stated check for wet sumping the amount of oil loss would suggest this rather than gasket failure I to steer away from paper gaskets but not had a leak this bad also check return rate.John
bike running in rider running out
Tri 500 5Ta
B.S.A A10 1955 Under restoration

Offline Tukig

• Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 01.05. 2013 11:12 »
Thanks for all your help,

First of all - it's fixed. I was being lead astray by the substantial amount of oil coming from the dynamo hole. After replacing the oil pump gasket and the timing cover gasket I started it up and, as been said previously in another thread, it felt odd and promptly started chucking oil out of the breather. So forum to the rescue and Dunney's thread steered me to the right area. Off with the sump plate and some buffoon (ME!) had mis-aligned the separate filter gauze thus restricting oil return. Always learning and again thanks to all.

As an aside. The gasket ordered for the pump was terrible. The holes were smaller than the holes in the pump. I ordered some assorted gasket material from Tym seals and gaskets. !0 A4 sheets of different papers, composites and corks in a useful range of thickness. An excellent buy. Found them on ebay along with some hole punches (12 -3mm to 19mm-for £10 inc p&p- how do they do that?). Did a "potato print" of the pump using oil on the gasket material made a much better item.

Gary

Offline Topdad

• bob hebdon
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • l
« Reply #8 on: 01.05. 2013 12:47 »
Gary, glad you got it sorted . Strange but I've just decided to do similar re gaskets because I'd just bought a set of hole punches from would you beleive ALDI ,cost 3.99 and work very well . I'll use the poeple you found for the gasket paper .With me its the rocker base gaskets that are pissing me off I've got two sets ,all different and all don't fit, so I'm with you and will make my own, thanks for the info , mutual help fantastic! long live this forum, best wishes BobH.
" rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the blind obediance of fools"
United Kingdom